Twist for 178 ELD-X .308

cowboy

Anyone know the min. twist rate for the 178 gr Hornady ELD-X. in .308. I have a 12" twist- I can find all the other ELD-X min. twist rates with a search but not the 178 gr.. Thanks for your help.

Running the 178 ELDs length at 2700 fps, thru the JBM stability calculator. I came up with a SF of 1.183. 1.5 or more, is said to optimal. But that is just numbers, the only way to tell is try them, they seem to be unstable in a 12 twist, but still might shoot ok, you will be losing some BC. I think the JBM calculator was run at sea level, but not totally sure about that..

The box I have says 12 twist for the 178

Well - if for some reason you don't use them I'd buy them from you. I can't find them locally or anywhere on the net. After your comment I will keep looking for some. I sent an email to Hornady weeks ago asking this same question but I got no response.

Thank you for the response.

Well - if for some reason you don't use them I'd buy them from you. I can't find them locally or anywhere on the net. After your comment I will keep looking for some. I sent an email to Hornady weeks ago asking this same question but I got no response.

Thank you for the response.

I am north of you in Canada so I wouldn't even be able to get them to you .

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.