ELD-X out of sig cross .308

jjgaw

Alright this may be a long shot but has anyone chrono'd their sig cross .308 16" barrel shooting Hornady ELD-X 178gr? Looking to get a more accurate muzzle velocity without buying a chronograph to use one time. Any help is appreciated, thank you

Guess, as barrels are different. Through my 16.5 inch 308s, stick shift, and gasser, the M118 LRs with 175 SMKs runs 2500. I would guess, normal pressure accuracy loads with 178s would be in the ballpark.

Handloads or factory ammo?

I'm running 2490 with handloads/varget in my 16" AR gas gun, its pretty hot for a gas gun though

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. The reason I'm looking for an accurate muzzle velocity is so I can order a Kenton custom turret

Depends on how far you intend to shoot -- 400y and under, a WAG on mv will probably work for a turret-- but if you intend to stretch it out you'll need as accurate info as possible --- just remember those turrets are only as good as the info you give them

I don't know if I would order a custom turret without getting the MV out of my own rifle. Just my opinion.
that's the crossroads I'm at.. I don't want to buy one to use one time. And I'm only going to be shooting out to 600. I was hoping being within 50fps or so wouldn't make enough of a difference at that range. What do you think?
Depends on how far you intend to shoot -- 400y and under, a WAG on mv will probably work for a turret-- but if you intend to stretch it out you'll need as accurate info as possible --- just remember those turrets are only as good as the info you give them
i don't intend to shoot out past 550-600. But yea I agree. It's not ideal. The turret labels are cheap enough I may just order one of those and see how it goes

that's the crossroads I'm at.. I don't want to buy one to use one time. And I'm only going to be shooting out to 600. I was hoping being within 50fps or so wouldn't make enough of a difference at that range. What do you think?

i don't intend to shoot out past 550-600. But yea I agree. It's not ideal. The turret labels are cheap enough I may just order one of those and see how it goes
Roughly 6" at 600 yds which to me would be too much.

Id call around to local ranges, gun shops, and any shooting schools that are semi-nearby to see if they have a unit that you can rent. Or ask on here if someone will loan you one. Just need a 5 or 10 round count MV average so it shouldn't take more than about 10 mins to do it all.

I know that there are a couple services that rent out reamers and whatnot so perhaps someone on here will recommend a service that rents out magnetospeeds.

Also, I recently heard about (and forgot the process for) getting your MV by shooting groups at 100, 200, 300, etc yards and doing the backward math based on drop at each range and atmospherics. Might be worth a google.
Id rather burn up a box of ammo getting accurate data than spend money on a turret based on SWAG.
Good luck.

I shot them over the chronograph last night at 3450 feet of elevation here at the house, it didn't make sense but this is what the Calwell says for a string of 3.
2570, 2635 and 2601. wide spread and way faster that what I was expecting so I don't know if something was up with the chrono or what, it was evening and in the shade but I was expecting 100ish fps slower. My magnetospeed won't read with the suppressor on so I had to use the Caldwell. Just my opinion, but I would definitely not order a turret without validating my data first. If you have a range that goes to 4-600 yards, just input the G1 or G7 b.c. then use 2500 fps and shoot to halfway (300 yards) to make sure it's close, and adjust the speed if needed by using the drop difference and then push to the furthest reasonable distance you can, further the better, and readjust the speed to it matches your actual drop and give them that. I use a chronograph but only for a starting point then validate by shooting out to 6 or 800. After that I find the right data by doing that, I shoot all sorts of distances to make sure it matches up while having fun with it. Only 1 time did my chronograph reading and advertised b.c. data match my true drop, so I'd not order one even if I ran it over a chronograph without "validating" it first. Then you can feel 100% confident you're good to go at that elevation at least. I've also tested the precision hunter in several calibers for temp sensitivity and it was pretty solid. Let me know if there's anything I need to clarify.
Josh