Mile a minute ballistics

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46119

At the range last week someone mentioned a project that is interesting. Mile a minute 5280fps muzzle velocity.

This is the sort of project I use to push to the next level of understanding.

Has it been done?

At the range last week someone mentioned a project that is interesting. Mile a minute 5280fps muzzle velocity.

This is the sort of project I use to push to the next level of understanding.

Has it been done?

Why is it called "Mile a Minute" instead of "Mile a Second"?

Why is it called "Mile a Minute" instead of "Mile a Second"?

Probably because the bullet needed to get to 5,280fps would need to be very light and have an extremely low BC. So by the time it gets to a mile, it has slowed down so much that it took it a minute to get there! :D:D:D

:D
You can put that bullet in your car and carry it a mile in one minute. Many can go two miles/minute, and some can go three. We're talking street cars. Some might claim four miles per minute, but that's getting into dedicated race car territory.

:D
You can put that bullet in your car and carry it a mile in one minute. Many can go two miles/minute, and some can go three. We're talking street cars. Some might claim four miles per minute, but that's getting into dedicated race car territory.

I'm locked down to just over 2.5 miles per minute in my new Camaro ss. She's bone stock 'till the warranty's off, and they lock them down to 155 mph... After that, the car's going to get some serious upgrades if I'm not bored with it yet...

As to 1 mile per second bullet speeds, we are limited by the gas velocity with current propellents. You need very light for caliber and heavy powder charges to get anywhere near 4,500 fps...The 223wssm and 220 swift need powder charges as heavy or heavier than the bullet even to do that...

I have gone over 4,000 fps with a 7 rum and 120 grain bullets with a book load, and that is about as fast as you are getting a hunting weight bullet to go in any cartridge.

Gunpowder doesn't burn fast enough to get that kind of velocity (5,280 fps)...and if it did, pressure would be more than could be comfortably contained.

Whatever propellant they use in the 120mm on the Abrams will work. The antitank rounds they fire are all over a mile per second, in the 5300-5600fps range. Pressures in the 75k to 90ish range, so i would think a mile per second rifle is definetely possible, if not practical.

Once saw an Abrams round in Fallujah penetrate seven buildings in a row. Not walls mind you, entire buildings. From the air tracers can look lazy since you are seeing several hundred yards of flight, but those Abrams rounds look FAST. And they are!

I dated a PhD in college who told me that she was sending a styrofoam ball using some form of a photon gun running above 18,000 mph (26,400 fps). It was cutting holes through steel plates. She moved to Los Alamos and I lost contact with her. Probably a good thing. :D

My swift can send 40 g vmaxs at 4400 fps with 39 g of 4064. I haven't shown pressure signs, but am a good 2+ grains over book. I could push it faster, but with the Nevada winds it's just not practical. I shoot 52 g bullets up to 4000 fps but get ejector marks in hot weather to I brought them down a bit. Another 800 fps would spike the pressure pretty good I think. With a stiffer action, and maybe a little larger case it is possible, but again, not practical for what I use it for.

I'm sure it could be done.
Would need a turned monolithic bullet, front heavy enough that rifling would not be needed for stability(smooth bore). And friction reduced with tungsten disulphide.
Would need some of that magic surplus powder(extremely slow).
Would need to employ short/fat sharp shoulder angle case design to cause more powder burn -in the chamber, instead of adding to mass of the bullet.
Would need a 50cal diameter action to get enough barrel steel around the chamber.
Long barrel, like ~40".

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.