Minimum Barrel OD for muzzle brake?

Defens

I've installed a few muzzle brakes and flash hiders on various rifles, but they always had quite a bit of "meat" for threading.

I've been considering installing a brake (likely an APA "Little Jimmy") on my .300 UltraMag - Rem. 700 BDL. The barrel OD at the muzzle is 0.648 - I see that a lot of manufacturers recommend at least a 0.750 diameter - I suppose so the barrel mates up better cosmetically with the brake.

A 5/8x28 thread should still work on this diameter I'd think but are there any other mechanical reasons to not install a brake like this on a skinnier barrel?

JE Custom says .648 is ok but the minimum for a 30 cal barrel. I trust his recommendation.

I use 9/16x24 on all the Remington factory barrels I do. 5/8x24 won't leave you enough of a shoulder to keep the brake timed if you take it on and off at all.

Thanks guys! I'll look for a brake with a bit smaller ID on the threads, then. My main concern is getting too close to the bore and potentially mucking up the muzzle - expansion of the bore, etc. Although I guess with the brake (or a muzzle protector) screwed on, there's actually more mass there than with a bare muzzle.

I've installed a few muzzle brakes and flash hiders on various rifles, but they always had quite a bit of "meat" for threading.

I've been considering installing a brake (likely an APA "Little Jimmy") on my .300 UltraMag - Rem. 700 BDL. The barrel OD at the muzzle is 0.648 - I see that a lot of manufacturers recommend at least a 0.750 diameter - I suppose so the barrel mates up better cosmetically with the brake.

A 5/8x28 thread should still work on this diameter I'd think but are there any other mechanical reasons to not install a brake like this on a skinnier barrel?

On my website I have a guide for this based on minimum barrel wall thickness that will answer your questions hopefully. www.jecustom.com - FAQ's (The last one in the FAQ section)

These minimums take onto account the minor diameter after threading and hold the minimum wall thickness to around .150 thousandths

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.