Mid asian ibex - cartridge choice

Honestly if you shoot the 6.5 creedmoor really well. I'd take that. You're most likely to be able to spot your own impacts with that. Instead of relying on your guides with a language barrier. If you hit them good, they are going to to die. The big thing is to hit them good. You're not taking the meat home, so if you blast them right in the shoulders who cares, they won't be going far. Being super confident when you're pulling that trigger is the most important thing. Being able to shoot your 6.5 at 600 yards is far better than being able to shoot your blaser at 400. If you hit him, hes going to run down hill… another bonus lol.

I would take the 6.5 creedmoor and shoot eldm's (140 or 147) out to wherever 1800fps is....without hesitation.

You are being honest with yourself. Most people shoot lighter recoiling rifles better. Take what you shoot the best.

There nothing "too light" about the 6.5 with eldm's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd personally take the 7 SAUM of the 3 (don't have one, but from what I've heard/read of the cartridge, it's almost identical to the .280 AI - which I do own/love for its flat shooting and lighter recoil)…I'm sure any of the 3 would be fine with good shot placement; but from my experience with past exotics (oryx); they are hardier animals to take down, more like elk than deer, so I'd lean a bit more to the heavier calibers you have. Good luck-sounds like an awesome opportunity!

After many years of planning, it looks I will finally make it to Tajikistan to hunt mid asian Ibex. I am looking for advice, out of my 3 suitable rifles, which one should I take?
APR 7 SAUM (love it, but if ammo is lost, you are not getting it in Tajikistan)
Blaser R8 300 weatherby. Accurate but a bit heavy.
Sako S20 6.5 creed. I shoot this one the best but i am not sure if it is enough gun (143 hornady eldx factory ammo)

i would try to keep my shots 500 yds.
What would you take?
Thank you!
Do you have the option to send ammo to your guide/outfitter?

7 saum or 300 bee would be the way to go. 6.5 just wouldn't make me feel good about traveling that far with that much invested. I'd rather have a magnum caliber with everything invested. Hunting ibex is a dream of mine so I will live vicariously through the post.

I have the same thought as feenix, see if you can ship some ammo ahead to the guide. Then you know it got there and can bring whatever gun you'd like best.

That in like Fenix and Titus said maybe if you're traveling with somebody that's hunting also both of you pack each other's ammo plus your own in each bag that way if one of your bags gets lost then you still have ammo in your hunting partner's bag also

I just came back from a hunt in NZ with two of my best friends. One of them had some terminal performance issues with the 143 ELD-X bullets out of a 6.5 PRC. I am not sure I would travel around the world for this type of hunt and count on that bullet, just from what I saw of the performance on a Red Stag and a Himalayan Tahr. I was using the same caliber but a different bullet and had four one shot kills from 312 to 483. My buddies shot on the Tahr was right at 400 and the bullets hit square on the front shoulder and just disintegrated. The Tahr had to be shot twice more the next day to finish the job. Very similar results on his red stag. Three shots to put it down. Just to be fair my buddy is a really good shot and his initial shots hit their marks both times. The bullet just didn't do its job. I used the 175 ELD-X in my 7LRM for awhile with great results on Mule Deer out to almost 700 yards but after this last trip and seeing the lack of performance I wont use them again. Just to risky IMO and for what you are going to have into this trip I would want something I had 100% confidence in. Take the rifle you shoot the best, shoot a quality bullet and have fun. I am sure you are going to have a kick *** time! Looking forward to seeing the results.

I'll vote whichever you shoot best in the wind between the 300 Weatherby & 7 Saum! I'm currently researching options for Mid-Asian Ibex in 2024-2025. Everything I've gathered about shooting over there makes me personally lean towards my 300 PRC with a 215 berger or 28 Nosler with a 195 berger. Just for the wind component. Also, it would be extremely beneficial to go take a level 1 shooting course prior to your hunt. You will want to have a good relationship with your rifle and know how to troubleshoot. Most likely you will need to re-zero when you get there. Most likely your data will be off, even with a new data card for the increased elevations. Also, have the hand tools to re-torque fasteners and work on your gun. The scope &/or mounts are the highest likelihood of a failure point on any hunt. Best thing you can take with you is knowledge. Best of luck! 🤙🏽

Last edited:
I've done Tajikistan twice in the last two years. I used my 300 Win Mag both times and would not have wanted anything less. The wind and shot distances can be much more than you expect. I shot my Mid Asian ibex at 342 yds with an 165 Hornady and my Pamirian ibex at 445 yds with a 215 Berger. The performance of the 215 was head and shoulders above the SST. Practice your extreme uphill and downhill shots. You're in for the experience of a lifetime. There will be times that you can't believe what you are seeing. Be prepared for things to not go as planned. Enjoy the food and culture! You're gonna love it!
Beautiful animal

Recent Posts