Mid asian ibex - cartridge choice

Ftothfadd

After many years of planning, it looks I will finally make it to Tajikistan to hunt mid asian Ibex. I am looking for advice, out of my 3 suitable rifles, which one should I take?
APR 7 SAUM (love it, but if ammo is lost, you are not getting it in Tajikistan)
Blaser R8 300 weatherby. Accurate but a bit heavy.
Sako S20 6.5 creed. I shoot this one the best but i am not sure if it is enough gun (143 hornady eldx factory ammo)

i would try to keep my shots 500 yds.
What would you take?
Thank you!

Well, you may very well be right. Currently, I am shooting 155 hammers out of my SAUM but I am not super happy with their long range potential (neither am I happy with my own long range potential but that is another story ;-). I might look into working ups a load wiht 175 ELDX and see how that does.

Interesting thought. I imagine you would pack the two rifles in separate cases. I am not sure, but I can imagine it would trigger some odd questions in some of the countries I have to fly through (like Turkey). But I could be wrong.

Been to Kyrg twice and killed an Ibex. I'd say to take the SAUM or Blaser. Quite frankly ammo won't be available there for anything to speak of. The CM will work, but it's on the light side for some of the possibilities. I wouldn't take 2 rifles due to the hassels. Not sure it's even allowed. Nor would I take 2 in the same case. A spare scope and tools to mount it is a good idea.
I'd suggest talking to your outfitter. My experiences have been a lot of time on a horse/pony and not a lot of time walking so the weight of the Blaser won't matter. Accuracy will matter. Use a bullet that you have confidence in.
I'd suggest that you have confidence out to at least 400 yds with whatever you take. 500 is even better. Remember you'll be hunting at a much higher elevation. Maybe over 13,000 feet so be sure you know how that will affect your drops.
Get some airtags or the equivalent and put in each bag so you can track where they are at. On one hunt my rifle stayed an extra day in Turkey. Cost me a hunting day waiting for it.
If you want to chat feel free to DM me for my phone #
Bruce

I've done Tajikistan twice in the last two years. I used my 300 Win Mag both times and would not have wanted anything less. The wind and shot distances can be much more than you expect. I shot my Mid Asian ibex at 342 yds with an 165 Hornady and my Pamirian ibex at 445 yds with a 215 Berger. The performance of the 215 was head and shoulders above the SST. Practice your extreme uphill and downhill shots. You're in for the experience of a lifetime. There will be times that you can't believe what you are seeing. Be prepared for things to not go as planned. Enjoy the food and culture! You're gonna love it!

Attachments

• 6E50DCB0-65F7-41BE-9408-C7CF5F3BAA75.jpeg
    6E50DCB0-65F7-41BE-9408-C7CF5F3BAA75.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 284
  • A2BACCB0-CCD0-4CF5-A09B-C3BCAB98BBC7.jpeg
    A2BACCB0-CCD0-4CF5-A09B-C3BCAB98BBC7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 288
I've done Tajikistan twice in the last two years. I used my 300 Win Mag both times and would not have wanted anything less. The wind and shot distances can be much more than you expect. I shot my Mid Asian ibex at 342 yds with an 165 Hornady and my Pamirian ibex at 445 yds with a 215 Berger. The performance of the 215 was head and shoulders above the SST. Practice your extreme uphill and downhill shots. You're in for the experience of a lifetime. There will be times that you can't believe what you are seeing. Be prepared for things to not go as planned. Enjoy the food and culture! You're gonna love it!
Thank you for your insight. Gorgeous pictures!

7 saum
Airlines rarely lose rifle ammo or rifles anymore
There is too much hassle for them by governments and law enforcement
Arrive early at the airport, make sure your transfers are min 3 hours apart, fly through gun friendly airports like Istanbul, and with a hunter friendly airline like Turkish and you will be fine.