Mid asian ibex - cartridge choice

Well, you may very well be right. Currently, I am shooting 155 hammers out of my SAUM but I am not super happy with their long range potential (neither am I happy with my own long range potential but that is another story ;-). I might look into working ups a load wiht 175 ELDX and see how that does.
175 Berger would he "my" choice.

I just came back from a hunt in NZ with two of my best friends. One of them had some terminal performance issues with the 143 ELD-X bullets out of a 6.5 PRC. I am not sure I would travel around the world for this type of hunt and count on that bullet, just from what I saw of the performance on a Red Stag and a Himalayan Tahr. I was using the same caliber but a different bullet and had four one shot kills from 312 to 483. My buddies shot on the Tahr was right at 400 and the bullets hit square on the front shoulder and just disintegrated. The Tahr had to be shot twice more the next day to finish the job. Very similar results on his red stag. Three shots to put it down. Just to be fair my buddy is a really good shot and his initial shots hit their marks both times. The bullet just didn't do its job. I used the 175 ELD-X in my 7LRM for awhile with great results on Mule Deer out to almost 700 yards but after this last trip and seeing the lack of performance I wont use them again. Just to risky IMO and for what you are going to have into this trip I would want something I had 100% confidence in. Take the rifle you shoot the best, shoot a quality bullet and have fun. I am sure you are going to have a kick *** time! Looking forward to seeing the results.
I personally haven't been impressed with the ELD-X either and wouldn't take it on this type of a hunt either. However I know others who have had good luck so who knows.

I'd take the 7 SAUM and shoot the Hammers.
If this combo shoots well for you this would be hard to beat. I am a big fan of exit wounds and the Hammers will certainly punch through even if you take on a front shoulder. Should be good to 5 or even 600 yards. Best of luck on your hunt! Jason

After many years of planning, it looks I will finally make it to Tajikistan to hunt mid asian Ibex. I am looking for advice, out of my 3 suitable rifles, which one should I take?
APR 7 SAUM (love it, but if ammo is lost, you are not getting it in Tajikistan)
Blaser R8 300 weatherby. Accurate but a bit heavy.
Sako S20 6.5 creed. I shoot this one the best but i am not sure if it is enough gun (143 hornady eldx factory ammo)

i would try to keep my shots 500 yds.
What would you take?
Thank you.
I'd GO buy a 300 PRC or take your 7 SAUM andv2 different boxes of ammo in separate suit cases.Good Luck on your hunt and post photos when you get back.

Thank you for all the input everyone. I will likely take the 300 Wby as it looks right now. That is a Blaser R8 which can be disassembled into parts making travels easier (or so I hope). I am about to book my flight so it is getting real really fast. Speaking of which, I think I will fly Turkish air, as that is the airline most people suggest but for the life of me cannot talk to a live person to discuss traveling with firearms on said airline. Any suggestions?

Thank you for all the input everyone. I will likely take the 300 Wby as it looks right now. That is a Blaser R8 which can be disassembled into parts making travels easier (or so I hope). I am about to book my flight so it is getting real really fast. Speaking of which, I think I will fly Turkish air, as that is the airline most people suggest but for the life of me cannot talk to a live person to discuss traveling with firearms on said airline. Any suggestions?
Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Show us the money shots after you get him

I will be happy to. But do not hold your breath just yet, assuming all goes well the hunt will take place during the first week of OCTOBER
Anyone can comment on traveling with TURKISH AIRLINES with firearms?
Ferenc

Last edited:
I flew on Turkish air when I hunted both times in Kyrg. At that time they had no restrictions. My only issue was them leaving my rifle in Istanbul and my having to wait an extra day for it to get to Bishkek. As a side note I filed a detailed complaint. They wound up paying for 10% of my hunt(cost me one of 10 hunting days) as well as some $$ for a hotel.
This has been a while so I'm not sure of the firearms policy currently. Looking on their web site it appears that they want notified and are going to charge extra for it:

They have the info that you need there.
Bruce

I will be happy to. But do not hold your breath just yet, assuming all goes well the hunt will take place during the first week of August.
Anyone can comment on traveling with TURKISH AIRLINES with firearms?
Ferenc
Buddy if I ever get to hunt ibex it will be in a number of years, and that is IF. So I am willing to wait, haha

I flew on Turkish air when I hunted both times in Kyrg. At that time they had no restrictions. My only issue was them leaving my rifle in Istanbul and my having to wait an extra day for it to get to Bishkek. As a side note I filed a detailed complaint. They wound up paying for 10% of my hunt(cost me one of 10 hunting days) as well as some $$ for a hotel.
This has been a while so I'm not sure of the firearms policy currently. Looking on their web site it appears that they want notified and are going to charge extra for it:

They have the info that you need there.
Bruce
Thank you Bruce!
I found this page, and read through it. One of the issues I am facing that I cannot find a way to contact the airline...

Recent Posts