Mid asian ibex - cartridge choice

Thank you Bruce!
I found this page, and read through it. One of the issues I am facing that I cannot find a way to contact the airline...

Attachments

• IMG_4354.png
    IMG_4354.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 28
Goats are narrow bodied animals so you want a bullet that expands rapidly on impact. The biggest thing is being confident in what you're shooting, and placing one where it needs to go with the first shot. I'd much rather shoot an animal at 400 yards with the rifle I'm comfortable shooting at 600. Rather than stretching the limits with a different rifle just because it's bigger. Selecting the proper bullet for the animal is more important than the caliber of your rifle. Personally I would try to get something like a 130gr Berger going around 3000 fps. Spotting your own impacts is very important with the language barrier.

So, I am just back from this trip and it was absolutely fantastic. I managed to harvest a 12 year old billy and I ended up using my 6.5 Creedmoor. Thankfully, the shot was Amer 153 m away.
Lets see some pics. Now that you have done this trip what would you do different next time?

Thank you for your interest. The hunt was all around great, discounting my return trip thanks to United Airlines' dealing with firearms but that is a kind of expected. Before the hunt the outfitter from Tajikistan provided a very extensive packing list which I followed loosely. The weather never dipped below 40, so I rarely wore more than a merino base layer and a fleece jacket. I took a lightweight gtx hiking boot that also was the right choice, although its vibram sole was rather slippery during a 3 hr steep uphill hike/scramble in a rocky creekbed, which was better tackled by the guides rubber boots… I took a Tikka T3x rifle in 6.5 creedmoor and it made it there without a shift in zero. We were able to climb above the ibex which I shot from 153 m. The ibex was bedded quartering away and my first shot was slightly back (but almost certainly lethal) so I followed up immediately with a second shot which dropped the ibex. I shot 143 grain Norma bondstrike bullets. Neither of the two shots exited, but I think they performed well.
All in all it was a trip of a lifetime and a candid insight into a very different culture, where people live with a tiny fraction of what we have but seemingly are more content with their life than most of us.
Thank you for reading.
DSC_3478.jpeg

Thank you for your interest. The hunt was all around great, discounting my return trip thanks to United Airlines' dealing with firearms but that is a kind of expected. Before the hunt the outfitter from Tajikistan provided a very extensive packing list which I followed loosely. The weather never dipped below 40, so I rarely wore more than a merino base layer and a fleece jacket. I took a lightweight gtx hiking boot that also was the right choice, although its vibram sole was rather slippery during a 3 hr steep uphill hike/scramble in a rocky creekbed, which was better tackled by the guides rubber boots… I took a Tikka T3x rifle in 6.5 creedmoor and it made it there without a shift in zero. We were able to climb above the ibex which I shot from 153 m. The ibex was bedded quartering away and my first shot was slightly back (but almost certainly lethal) so I followed up immediately with a second shot which dropped the ibex. I shot 143 grain Norma bondstrike bullets. Neither of the two shots exited, but I think they performed well.
All in all it was a trip of a lifetime and a candid insight into a very different culture, where people live with a tiny fraction of what we have but seemingly are more content with their life than most of us.
Thank you for reading.
View attachment 501824
Congrats on a magnificent harvest! I am glad it all worked out.

Ed

Thank you for reading.
View attachment 501824
He is beautiful. If you did it again would you use a creedmoor again or consider something with a little more power? To get a pass through shot. Would you recommend the outfitter, if so would you share the contact info for anyone looking to book a hunt.

Thank you for all the interest and kind lines. I would certainly recommend the outfitter I hunted with. They are called ANCOT. I believe they advertise on the bookyourhunt.com. As far as the gun is concerned, if I were fortunate to go again, I think I would take my 7 mm SAUM, just to have a little bit more energy and reach should the need arise. I know it is a long range hunting forum, but I was certainly very happy to get relatively short range shot at 153.