Michigan straight wall cartridge

As far as I read the laws the 450 Bushmaster is not legal. In the law itself there is also a maximum brass length which the 450 does not fit. That being said have heard lots of folks getting them for use this year. I have yet to hear back on my request to the dnr on whether they will be legal. The draft I read that stated brass length was just that a draft. I would check first as a word of caution. Or as soon as I hear I will post back.

I just put in for the anterless draw in DMU 058 private land and I went through all the regs an the DNR website and I can't find anything pertaining to straightwalled pistol cases in a long gun, anywhere.

Could someone please link the appropriate verbage?

Ohio is on their site. Michigan has nothing I can find.

I wont voice my opinion of black guns, you all already know that.

I just put in for the anterless draw in DMU 058 private land and I went through all the regs an the DNR website and I can't find anything pertaining to straightwalled pistol cases in a long gun, anywhere.

Could someone please link the appropriate verbage?

Ohio is on their site. Michigan has nothing I can find.

I wont voice my opinion of black guns, you all already know that.

Here you go:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf

Pages 11 and 17; page 17 has the specifics.

"Certain rifles capable of using .35 caliber or larger ammunition, with a straight-walled cartridge that has a minimum case length of 1.16 and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches and a .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external high compression power source (external hand pump, air tank, or air compressor), may be used in the Limited Firearm Deer Zone when taking deer."

Thanks. I blew right by it probably 10 times today.

My 44 Henry is good to go. I'll have to get a custom made sling for it, no swivels on the furniture.

I know the 240 Sierra Sportsmasters are devistating on deer in my S&W 44 magnum revolver but the increased muzzle velocity from the Henry should not only stabilize the pill better but provide a more accurate shot.

I see they have included externallly pressurized air rifles in the 35+ caliber range for whitetail in Michigan and that opens up the field to the European large bore air rifles.

Never having shot oe owned one but hearing great things about them (I have a good friend who is an Engineer for JD in Mannheim, Germany that hunts with an air rifle
and has nothing but praise for his), that may be an interesting and alternative option.

This year I can get my Senior License. Gawd, I'm getting old.:)

Ashland gun innovations is the place to go. Google it and check out there muzzleloaders. He's very competitive in pricing and uses the right stuff ( Brux and Krieger barrels trued 700 actions HS precision, mcmillan and another lightweight fiberglass stocks, 2 1/2lb triggers and huskemaw leupold and nightforce optics). A 20" remington 700 muzzleloader will run a 275gr parker bullet around 2800fps. He builds them quickly and to your preferences. I have a 30" barreled model ( i like the 300gr parker match hunter) that is a 1/4 moa rifle. I wouldn't think twice about a 600-700 yard shot.The gun will break clay pigeons @ 500 yds so well it gets boring. I missed a doe this year @ 659 yards due to the fact that I held with the wind and not into the wind and the dirt flew up perfect height just 6 foot to the left. Not the guns fault, just the moron behind it. Give Charlie a call and tell him Ben sent you.

Antitactical, what's on of those rigs selling for? Edit: $2650. Found it on their website. That is a most impressive set up.

Those muzzle loaders are very impressive. However, since they are loaded with smokeless powder they are not legal to use in the limited rifle zone.

They certainly aren't. Besides, if you are a good hunter at least here in Michigan and Ohio you should be able to close the distance to less than 150 yards.

I've had whitetails so close I could have reached out and scratched their ears....

This is a Long Range Hunting forum, right? I have had deer come within feet of my blind, and it had very little to do with my skill. Yet, every single long range shot takes skill. You can accidentally get close to a deer, you don't accidentally make a well placed shot at three quarters of a mile.

If you want to talk skill, I say long range shooting takes more skill then stalking. I enjoy hunting with my bow and handgun, both require stalking. I also enjoy the joy of a well placed 500m shot.

The muzzleloaders have been tested with black horn 209 and have had impressive results. With a stout load of black horn 209 a 300gr bullet can get 2790fps with a longer barrel model. Excellent accuracy has been the norm too. I haven't tried it in a 20" gun yet but plan on trying it out. So it is legal with states that require no smokeless powders. A .418 b.c. moving at 2790 has some good ballistics (it's no 7mm stw but it sure makes a standard muzzleloader look dismal)

This is a Long Range Hunting forum, right? I have had deer come within feet of my blind, and it had very little to do with my skill. Yet, every single long range shot takes skill. You can accidentally get close to a deer, you don't accidentally make a well placed shot at three quarters of a mile.

If you want to talk skill, I say long range shooting takes more skill then stalking. I enjoy hunting with my bow and handgun, both require stalking. I also enjoy the joy of a well placed 500m shot.

Debatable.

You will be hard pressed to obtain a 500 meter shot hunting in Michigan or Ohio (maybe in Southern Ohio in the strip mines, maybe). We have some things in the way, mainly trees or dwellings or cars on roads, it's unlike west of the muddy where wide open spaces abound, that don't happen here.

Here, it's spot and stalk and contrary to your opinion, that takes skill too. You don't need wind meters and phone apps, you need to be a skilled hunter and yes this is a long range forum but this thread is about using a straight walled pistol cartridge in a long gun, not a 3/4 mile shot.

None of my Michigan hunting rifles have more than a 9 power scope, no side parallelax either. Not needed or wanted, in fact, iron sights work well too. I own a couple 'out west' rifles too. Big caliber, big kahonna scopes but they have no place here and I enjoy hunting on my home turf just as much as going out west and something else, it's a helluva lot cheaper and the result is the same, meat in the freezer and mounts on the wall....

Rifles, in fact all firearms are tools just like a socket set or a hammer and like tools, there are various tools for various jobs. My Michigan/Ohio tools are different from my Colorado/New Mexico tools.

I'm glad both Michigan and Ohio made a regulation change because it gives us, as resident hunters, more options.

Finally, I've never hunted from a blind either here or 'there', I don't own one and I've never considered one, except maybe for waterfowl which I don't hunt but most likely will this fall at the invitation of a fellow hunter (with a borrowed shotgun) because I don't own one. I ground hunt always. Thats part of the spot and stalk regimen.

Not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out a few aspects and replying in kind to the thread

Out of curiosity, what would the recoil measure on that

Felt recoil or actual recoil? It would depend entirely on the weight of the firearm and how the stock fits your shoulder as well as the buttplate/recoil pad.

Here you go:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf

Pages 11 and 17; page 17 has the specifics.

"Certain rifles capable of using .35 caliber or larger ammunition, with a straight-walled cartridge that has a minimum case length of 1.16 and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches and a .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external high compression power source (external hand pump, air tank, or air compressor), may be used in the Limited Firearm Deer Zone when taking deer."

So it appears the 450 Bushmaster is a viable option? I might have to order a barrel for my spare Savage action I have laying around.

Previously I was keeping an eye out for a 1885 in 45LC or 454 Casual. I think a bolt action might be a better fit.

careful with the 1885 in 454. Wild West guns here in anchorage did some testing and found that even after very few rounds the high pressure 454 caused dimesion changes to the receiver of the 1885. those old lever guns are nice but were never designed for a handgun cartridge as powerful as the 454. they actually made one of there own lever actions around the 500SW and the first one they tried was supposed to be strong enough. that first high pressure 500 split the action open like it was made of clay. so if you want longevity, maybe keep the 1885 to 45LC instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.