Of these straight walled cartridges, what is best out of a 13"-14" bbl?

I would also choose the 357 MAX. I have killed deer with no problem to 125 yards with a 10" barrel Contender in 357 mag using the 180 Hornady XTP pushed to 1400 fps with 13.5 grs H110. With the MAX with a 10" barrel you can get 1700 fps and with a 14" barrel 1850 fps on average with 180s. With the 357 Max you will want to shoot more and you can afford to do it. With those fire breathing dragons like the 460 the concussion is AWESOME and will give you the headache in a few shots and you will not want to shoot it much and component prices per round is twice or more of that of the 357 MAX. Starline now makes 357 Max cases so there is once again a good supply. Don't get caught up in the "cool factor" of a romping stomping 460 that most people can't shoot accurately. Get something that you will be able to practice with so you will be able to place that bullet where it needs to go to ethically kill a deer. One other plus for the max is out to your 125 yard want it shoot pretty flat, from muzzle to 125 yards will not be much over 1.5" rise and fall. I almost had my 357 mag barrel punch out to the Max by Mike Bellm but decided to get a 14" barrel from Match Grade Machines in 30-30AI instead. I can use this caliber where I hunt in NC. 125 Ballistic Tip at 2670 fps with sub MOA accuracy SMOKES DEER. :D

I love the .357 Mag...Have a couple of them. Got a 6.5" ported S&W 629PP .44 Mag, as well. My favorite wheel-gun is my 6" S&W 686. I load 14.5gr of H110 behind the Hornady 140 FTX (LeverEvolution) bullets in Hornady cases with a Fed 200 primer with a very slight crimp (just enough to see a small shiny ring at the top of the case where you can feel it rolling over with your finger). It puts the smackdown on whatever it hits at 100 yards. :cool:

I can appreciate the 357 max is a very effective and efficient round, and I'm sure it's very pleasant to shoot, but I'm wanting to put together a hunting pistol, not a target/range pistol. I will never shoot more than a handful of rounds through it in a single sitting. Plus a longer, heavy bbl (possibly with a brake), will help to tame it down a bit vs something like a 9" or XVR.

I'm strictly looking for the best cartridge ballistically from that list un a practical encore pistol barrel length. I have access to the majority of the bigger rounds, so I will be able to shoot it before I make a decision

I can appreciate the 357 max is a very effective and efficient round, and I'm sure it's very pleasant to shoot, but I'm wanting to put together a hunting pistol, not a target/range pistol. I will never shoot more than a handful of rounds through it in a single sitting. Plus a longer, heavy bbl (possibly with a brake), will help to tame it down a bit vs something like a 9" or XVR.

I'm strictly looking for the best cartridge ballistically from that list un a practical encore pistol barrel length. I have access to the majority of the bigger rounds, so I will be able to shoot it before I make a decision
That being the case I'd encourage you to shoot at least 10 rounds in one outing out of any of the big'uns before investing in them.

Keep in mind that if you are shooting from a rested sitting or prone position the recoil is even more difficult to manage than when shooting from a regular standing or otherwise shooting without a rest so be sure and shoot them from the same position you'll be hunting.

I hate to see people lay out a bunch of money on a cannon they later find unpleasant to shoot.

That being the case I'd encourage you to shoot at least 10 rounds in one outing out of any of the big'uns before investing in them.

Keep in mind that if you are shooting from a rested sitting or prone position the recoil is even more difficult to manage than when shooting from a regular standing or otherwise shooting without a rest so be sure and shoot them from the same position you'll be hunting.

I hate to see people lay out a bunch of money on a cannon they later find unpleasant to shoot.

When the Casull came out I just had to have one. Wish I had listened to this advice first. I don't like rifle recoil and evidently I like pistol recoil even less. Bought 5 boxes of ammo with it.....sold it with 3.

When the Casull came out I just had to have one. Wish I had listened to this advice first. I don't like rifle recoil and evidently I like pistol recoil even less. Bought 5 boxes of ammo with it.....sold it with 3.
I shoot my brother's 460 Smith and that's all the handgun I care to ever shoot again. Even the linebaugh 475 was easier on my wrist.

A box of 285's from my 8" 44mag ported mind you will swell my wrist double and then hurt for a few days. It gets the same weight with one cylinder of the heavies from the 460.

Someone should make a carbine for the .460,that'd be a monster little bear gun.

Another vote for the 357 max. However I would opt for one of Mike Bellmore barrels that are correctly throated for the 357. Go to his website and read first.

The fire breather large calibers are not fun to shoot and very recoil intensive in the encodes. More importantly not needed 99% of the time

One thing that many do not take into thought when going from rifle to pistol hunting is what room you have if you are using a shooting house type of stand. If your shooting window is not really big you will damage your pistol if it is a hard recoiling one. It will rise and hit the top of your window and usually break your scope. This happened to my friend with his new Red Hawk 454. Window was only 18" high which is plenty room for most any deer rifle to recoil and not hit anyplace. Pistol was another thing. Broke his scope on opening day of the season and he could not afford to purchase another one to fill in until he sent the broken one back to the factory for "replacement". No way they could have fixed the old one with the smashed tube. My 30-30AI 14" barrel Contender does fine out of same window.

What state do you live in?

I'm growing into a 460S&W Magnum fan! I have an 18" TC chambered in one. I'm getting some stupidly high velocity with a ton of muzzle energy.

Even in a rifle (albeit it only weighed barely over 4 lbs) the recoil was "substantial". It was substantially more recoil than my Rem 870 shooting 3 inch slugs. However, a muzzle brake worked wonders on the cartridge because it's so high pressure. Now it's one of my favorite range toys in addition to a lightweight brush gun. All of my friends love shooting it... (as long as I'm buying the ammo).

The 460 doesn't need custom reloading dies. Reloading data is available. It's a cartridge that I feel will be around for a long time so no worries of supplies drying up or support for the cartridge diminishing.

Even though it's expensive, if needed you can always find store bought ammo for the 460 also. I suggest reloading.

If you want to just plink with it, you can also shoot 45 LC or 454 Casull out of the same firearm. So it's versatile!

The 357 Maximum made my short list also. But I'm glad I went with the 460. Now if someone were to come out with a 357 caliber cartridge with a 1.8" case length (MI straight walled cartridge limit) that operates at 65,000 psi; I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...ng-range-rifle-179680/index2.html#post1268974

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.