Mentally Challenged Individuals on Gunbroker

I've been contacted before saying I was the next highest bidder and the highest bidder didn't pay. I never took the bait.
I guess it's the nature of the beast. Had a similar experience on eBay, Bidding on an RL1050, not the high bidder, about a week later guy contacts me says the high bidder backed out.
Negotiated the price to include the shipping, did I get a good deal? Maybe, still got the press.

The surest way I've found to not be taken advantage of when looking to buy an item is to see if it is a price I'm willing to pay/absorb. If not, I move on.
There is only ONE person who is responsible for the insane prices we are seeing and that person is the tool who falls for the BS and buys at insane prices.
If people would refrain from feeding the idiots the idiots would soon cease to exist.
We have only ourselves goes for letting things get to the way they are.
This coming from a guy who had the presence of mind to buy a little here and a little there over the years as my budget would allow and as prices were where I could afford them.
Now I need not buy any components for what I expect is the rest of my life at the rate I'm shooting, anyway. I've bartered some items away enough so that I paid for a septic system repair so that I wasn't out of pocket. You can guess how much that might (or was) have been.
Overnout.

Currently on Gunbroker they've bid a box of 6.5 Accubond LR 142's bullets for reloading up to $190 for qty 100, when there are 2 other auctions ongoing with buy it now prices of $135 and $160 for the same exact thing.

Im sorry, but some people are just too dumb to be reloading.
How about a link?? From what I see they are all legit auctions with legit prices??

The surest way I've found to not be taken advantage of when looking to buy an item is to see if it is a price I'm willing to pay/absorb. If not, I move on.
There is only ONE person who is responsible for the insane prices we are seeing and that person is the tool who falls for the BS and buys at insane prices.
If people would refrain from feeding the idiots the idiots would soon cease to exist.
We have only ourselves goes for letting things get to the way they are.
This coming from a guy who had the presence of mind to buy a little here and a little there over the years as my budget would allow and as prices were where I could afford them.
Now I need not buy any components for what I expect is the rest of my life at the rate I'm shooting, anyway. I've bartered some items away enough so that I paid for a septic system repair so that I wasn't out of pocket. You can guess how much that might (or was) have been.
Overnout.
I don't know that I'd agree it's "our" fault, but that kind of depends on who "we" are when you say that.

About the onliest thing I remember from the one Economics class I took in college is the difference between value and worth. If someone REALLY wants to get into reloading right now, or someone didn't plan ahead and REALLY wants to be able to continue shooting, then primers are worth 30 cents apiece TO THEM. They were worth 10 cents apiece TO ME a few months ago. If components aren't worth the going price to you, don't pay it.

Currently on Gunbroker they've bid a box of 6.5 Accubond LR 142's bullets for reloading up to $190 for qty 100, when there are 2 other auctions ongoing with buy it now prices of $135 and $160 for the same exact thing.

For the record I agree with what others have already posted (crazy/stupid/fake buyers/shills etc) but for the sake of being devils advocate here... we are all really quick to throw stones at people paying these insane prices, but a little bar math shows, its not entirely crazy... see below for an example.

I have no idea what flavor 6.5 this person is loading, but my personal 6.5 Creedmoor works out to $0.035 per primer (CCI450M), $0.144 worth of powder (42.5grs RE16), plan to shoot my brass 10x at least so thats another $0.10 there. All in before bullets I'm at $0.275 per round. If I had to pay $1.9 per bullet (what the auction is currently listed at) that puts me at $2.175 per round all in. Nosler Trophy Grade with a 142gr ABLR costs $3.25 per round (MidwayUSA has it at $65 per box of 20rds right now, sold out though). So if you need it right now and dont have it, you are actually still saving a little over $1.0 per round.

Would I pay that? F... NO! but I also have enough stuff on hand to not worry about this for a little while. Next year may see me get a little more desperate.

A lot of you missed the point of my thread.
Which was - why continue to bid on an auction when you could just "buy it now" from another seller at a cheaper price?

The only 3 plausible explainations are
1.) they weren't aware of the other auction - which in this case were named the same and easily found by description or part number. Therefore my title.
2.) they were trying to buy up any and all of that product, regardless of price
3.) there was some funny business going on, but in this case I don't believe that's what happened

This was never about the price of said product on its own. We all know the crazy stuff going on.

I don't know that I'd agree it's "our" fault, but that kind of depends on who "we" are when you say that.

About the onliest thing I remember from the one Economics class I took in college is the difference between value and worth. If someone REALLY wants to get into reloading right now, or someone didn't plan ahead and REALLY wants to be able to continue shooting, then primers are worth 30 cents apiece TO THEM. They were worth 10 cents apiece TO ME a few months ago. If components aren't worth the going price to you, don't pay it.
I should have been more specific but I was meaning in a vague generality about the "our" fault. More specifically, I should emphasize that "we" on whole are responsible because "we" buy at those insane prices. If everyone were to vote with their wallets and refrain from scarfing up whatever at outrageous prices, they likely wouldn't exist.
If you don't feed the wild animals they will not bother you most times.
OTOH, if you GOTS to have it (for a match, Zombie Apocalypse, etc., then you GOTS to have it and you'll be willing to pay the market price.
Things that don't sell usually go on the chopping block at some point but that is scant consolidation to the poor guy or gal that is in a bind.
But I'm of the mindset that I don't drive around with only 1/8 of a tank of fuel and most don't. Why court potential disaster when a little pre-planning could solve or eliminate any troubles.
Hope that clears my comment up somewhat.

Last edited:
The ebay and GB conspiracy theories here are comical. If they practiced what has been claimed here they would not be in business.

If someone failed to plan and now are panicking let them over pay. I could care less. This same talk surfaces every 4 years and it seems very few learn from it.

Sooooo I've been looking for primers for almost a month now. I finally found a 1000 large rifle magnums for $100 BUT this screenshot shows how hard it is to find them now. When they get back in stock, I'm buying a case of every kind available so this won't happen again.

Attachments

• B8B8E27C-E16D-4D39-980A-91EAAE3A0BD0.png
    B8B8E27C-E16D-4D39-980A-91EAAE3A0BD0.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 112
The ebay and GB conspiracy theories here are comical. If they practiced what has been claimed here they would not be in business.

If someone failed to plan and now are panicking let them over pay. I could care less. This same talk surfaces every 4 years and it seems very few learn from it.
yep, you said it. if I read this thread correctly, there are people in the gun owning community who think that I should only buy what I "need" ..... which I assume they are willing to define. And if I choose to sell any illicit surplus, I must offer it at a price they determine to be "fair".

Why stop there? maybe those of us who planned ahead should pay reparations to the people who blew their money on whatever. Maybe they drank a case every weekend or went on vacations while I bought extra primers with my money. But I need to be "fair" and let them have my property at a price they determine. Ok, comrades, I'll be sure to do that and give from my means, to each according to their needs.

Bernie Sanders meets LRH.

Last edited:
yep. if I read this correctly, there are people in the gun owning community who think that I should only buy what I "need" ..... which I assume they are willing to define. And if I choose to sell any illicit surplus, I must offer it at a price they determine to be "fair".

Why stop there? maybe those of us who planned ahead should pay reparations to the people who blew their money on whatever. Maybe they drank a case every weekend or went on vacations while I bought extra primers with my money. But I need to be "fair" and let them have my property at a price they determine. Ok, comrades, I'll be sure to do that and give from my means, to each according to their needs.

Bernie Sanders meets LRH.
Not even close. Try again.

Funny that you frame your comments that way. Reminds me of those SOB's from one business (SG being their initials) that are absolutely FAMOUS for jacking up prices many times over commonly acceptable.
Everyone gets hot to trot to condemn them and claim to never again buy from them ever again then when things settle down and prices stabilize, they go right back to buying from them.
WTH, over?!?
I can't understand the waffling they do.
As when Dick's stopped selling "assault weapons" and everyone stopped buying anything from them, then the next business quarter their COO mentioned their stance caused them to lose something like 15% from their "normal" income.
STOP buying during the insanity and things WILL stabilize much sooner.
And ain't NOBODY that hard up they can't wait until the market corrects themselves.
They grumble and all that but nobody will die for lack of components.
But what do I know?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts