headspace challenge.

I clamped the shell holder in the mill vise, squared it up to the cutter and removed a few thousands from the upper surface on the shell holder. Oh and yes I dulled a couple carbide bits in the process, anyway once I was finished the brass was resized to correct length for my chamber.

I wouldn't do this to every shell holder/die set up, this one just needed a little taken off.

I clamped the shell holder in the mill vise, squared it up to the cutter and removed a few thousands from the upper surface on the shell holder. Oh and yes I dulled a couple carbide bits in the process, anyway once I was finished the brass was resized to correct length for my chamber.

I wouldn't do this to every shell holder/die set up, this one just needed a little taken off.

I see you are in Michigan, so am I. You might want to stop by the shop sometime and I'll show you a much easier way to fixture the shellholders or a die for that matter. I'm real close to Cabelas in Dundee, like 2 miles.

The inherent issue is they are cylindrical so 'clamping them in a mill vise' only imparts clamp forces on a very small part of the circumference, so things can get, shall we say, loosey goosey real quick.

Much better to clamp as much of the diameter as possible and using the registration surface (lower side) of the shell holder to square it in relationship to the cutting/grinding operation.

I should go into business grinding shell holders and dies....lol I'm already in business. Firearms are a hobby.

I had to grind one die for a 270 a couple thou, I used a fine grained blade in a chop saw (which worked well). Not high tech but It doesn't need to be...just make sure it is flat and perpendicular to the centerline.

I use a 40 S&W case for checking the amount of shoulder setback. One or two thou setback is enough.

How much do you want to do mine? :) haha thanks though for the info.

You pay the shipping both ways and I'll grind it for free. The machine is presently out of production and the fixture is on it so it's a matter of grinding to dimension, shellholders or die body. At most a 5 minute job. The die body minus the internals that is, just the body.

I don't believe that is in violation of the Forum rules. Tit for tat service....

I just did 3 shellholders for another poster on here. He wanted them in 0.005, 0.010 and 0.015.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.