Megnetospeed - A Compendium

The only thing I gleaned from that thread is that results will vary with each rifle. I have found the same to be true with my various rifles from lightweight sporters to a 20 lb 6 BR with a ''truck axle'' sized barrel.

I prefer to shoot for accuracy and then use the magneto speed to record the velocity of finalized load. I would have liked to chronograph as I developed the load but just cannot bring myself to use it as I believe it could alter the results. It is time consuming enough finding a load without the magneto speed possibly altering the actual group size.

I'm not sure why it would matter if the POI changes with the chrony on your barrel. Not like you're going to be packing it around on your gun at a competition or in the bush.
Shoot for accuracy and then check velocities after.

I use a chronograph for load development (Finding the best combination of powder type, primer and load amount that gets me the best SDs to start with. If I shoot two of five rounds and the first two are out of what I consider good SDs and ESs, I stop shooting the rest of that load an pull the bullets when I get back home saving components and barrels. Then armed with this data I shoot the loads that produced the best SDs and the velocity I was looking for without the chronograph and experiment with seating depths to get the best accuracy.

I do this, because it saves me from shooting loads that would never work and narrows down the ones that will. With this method, I can usually find a great load within 20 or 30 firings, saving brass and barrels.

The point is I don't care if the magneto speed changes the POI because I am looking for the best powder primer combo during this stage of reloading. Even when shooting through a sky screen chronograph I am somewhat distracted because if I want to shoot multiple targets, I have to move the screens or my position every time I change targets and I loose the consistency I am looking for
and at the range, I have to wait on other shooters to go downrange to adjust the screens.

The new Lab radar should work well also, but I already have a Magneto speed and am very happy with it for the way it works for me. I have also tested it against my Ohler 35p and found it very accurate.

It is a good tool when used correctly but it is not the only one out there and in my opinion, I am with the original poster It is a good tool but if someone wants something else BUY IT but knock
something just because you bought something else. Be happy with what you bought as long as it does what you want.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Re: Magnetospeed - A Compendium

Setting things straight is a bit of an overstatement. I've never owned or used a magnetospeed because I knew it could alter both precision (group size) and accuracy (point of bullet impact). I also knew it would affect different rifles and different barrels differently. Which is why some folks swear it has no influence and others swear you can't use it while developing loads.

I like to develop loads collecting MV data so I still use the old-fashioned light sensing chronographs, albeit a triplicate set of chronographs. The additional collection of MV data during load development allows me to confirm ES/SD and pressure during load development. I automatically discontinue effort with any load when I'm seeing unacceptable ES/SD, no matter the precision of that load.

The ease of use of the magnetospeed is very appealing. But not so appealing that I've purchased one. I think they're getting the bugs worked out of the Labradar unit, and I'd probably spend the additional money on one of those, over the magnetospeed. But I'm not headed in that direction either. Old fart stuck in my ways, I suppose. That, and I don't shoot so much that setting up my light sensing chronographs is that huge of a hassle. I NEVER shoot at an established shooting range, and I think that also factors into my own personal needs - big time. I hate shooting ranges. I'm always by my lonesome when I set up to shoot over chronographs.

All I can say is the magnetospeed has more than paid for itself with it's accuracy and unnecessarily fired rounds no longer happening. As well as knowing that I can trust vel data and not second guess it.

Steve

The ease of use of the magnetospeed is very appealing. But not so appealing that I've purchased one. I think they're getting the bugs worked out of the Labradar unit, and I'd probably spend the additional money on one of those, over the magnetospeed. But I'm not headed in that direction either. Old fart stuck in my ways, I suppose. That, and I don't shoot so much that setting up my light sensing chronographs is that huge of a hassle. I NEVER shoot at an established shooting range, and I think that also factors into my own personal needs - big time. I hate shooting ranges. I'm always by my lonesome when I set up to shoot over chronographs.

I wish I had a place that I could legally shoot that I had to my self but I don't so I have to deal with the rules of a shooting range.

I love my 35P and consider it the last word in a quality chronograph But one other thing I like about the Magnetospeed is its ability to shoot in poor or no light without failure and the chance of shooting a screen.
A good friend has a place that is safe to shoot from his shop in the dark, so when he gets home from work if he wants to work up a load he loads one test And steps outside and fires it in the dark (He still has enough light to see what he is doing safely but not enough to use a sky screen chronograph) the he goes inside and evaluates his data for that load.

We have also tested shotgun load velocity and arrows with field tips. I have not used it on any pistols but I understand it works well on revolvers.

And no I don't own any stock in this company ether

Just more comments

J E CUSTOM

I wish I had a place that I could legally shoot that I had to my self but I don't so I have to deal with the rules of a shooting range.

I love my 35P and consider it the last word in a quality chronograph But one other thing I like about the Magnetospeed is its ability to shoot in poor or no light without failure and the chance of shooting a screen.
A good friend has a place that is safe to shoot from his shop in the dark, so when he gets home from work if he wants to work up a load he loads one test And steps outside and fires it in the dark (He still has enough light to see what he is doing safely but not enough to use a sky screen chronograph) the he goes inside and evaluates his data for that load.

We have also tested shotgun load velocity and arrows with field tips. I have not used it on any pistols but I understand it works well on revolvers.

And no I don't own any stock in this company ether

Just more comments

J E CUSTOM

I gotta know how you used the mag speed on a bow?

Steve

I gotta know how you used the mag speed on a bow?

Steve

There is a setting for arrows and we found that using steel blunts gave the best results. and with the rest of the arrow non magnetic it only saw the tip.

To mount the sensor we simply attached it to the stabilizer and adjusted it up and down with the spacers supplied, to get the best space with an arrow nocked. some times we got a false reading when we drew the arrow but it was so low we new what it was and disregarded it.

We also checked it against a 35p and were very surprised at how close together they were. it was also a lot less nerve racking than shooting through my sky screens.

So far the only thing I haven't tested it on is Automatic pistols and pellet pistols but I have an idea that if I make a mount for a picatinny rail it would work well on auto pistols equipped with the rail
attached to the frame .

Note: I did have to alter the clamping system because after a few shots it would work loose.

J E CUSTOM

I will say this... I have never said it affected my groups, but I have said it did shift my POI. Also, I don't keep it on when shooting groups just to eliminate any external forces on the weapon that COULD cause any issues when I'm doing my group testing. If there was a way to mount it to the stock, then I would keep it on during load development, and I would use it all the time, instead of part of the time.

I'm not sure why it would matter if the POI changes with the chrony on your barrel. Not like you're going to be packing it around on your gun at a competition or in the bush.
Shoot for accuracy and then check velocities after.

This is exactly how i use my MSv2. I finalize load development (accuracy), then I chrono to get my velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.