Medium action?

I run a Lone Peak Medium Fuzion in a McMillan Adjustable Game Warden stock. With Hawkins BDL Metal I can get 2 rounds of 7 SAUM in there but if I switch to his BDM Metal and an InflectionDE magazine I get 5 rounds of SAUM with COAL up to 3.200".
View attachment 168700

How is the reliability of the magazine? The website says it comes with standard and magnum versions, does it take time to modify or is it plug and play? I have American Precision Arms XM bottom metal inlet ordered on my Manners stock that's being built. I wonder if this would fit.

I've seen the twisting issue posted before, but how can that happen when you have a recoil lug bedded into the stock and the recoil lug won't spin?
When bullets heavier than 160 grains are shot from 308 Winchester or larger cases, the torque on the barrel is enough to twist the barrel pivoting about the recoil lug. The receiver behind the lug works loose from full contact with the epoxy bedding.

It wasn't all that noticable until the early 1960's when high power match rifles in 308 Win started breaking all the records held by the 30-06 and newer 30 caliber magnums were outscoring the 300 H&H at 1000 yards. All due to better quality Sierra hollow point match bullets replacing their FMJ ones. No problems when Winchester 70 actions were used.

A Remington field rep knew about this problem. He tried to get Remington to make a flat bottom & side receiver for centerfire match rifles but they nixed the idea. So Ikey Starks, the rep, took his Winchester 70 based 308 Win to the 1966 Highpower Nationals and won. He soon quit Remington and opened his own shop.

Meanwhile, one or two of the military teams put 2 inch long recoil lugs on their Rem 700 based 300 magnums in hopes they would work. Helped a little. They stuck with the Winchester 70 based magnums. The favorite was a single shot Win 70 action without the magazine port; solid steel there and the stiffest action around. Twenty were made for the US Army and Marine Corps teams.

Flat bottom/side aluminum sleeved Remington receivers worked out well. Their often breaking extractor got replaced by one like Sako uses. Nothing fixed Remington's reliability problems in rapid fire matches.

Last edited:
When bullets heavier than 160 grains are shot from 308 Winchester or larger cases, the torque on the barrel is enough to twist the barrel pivoting about the recoil lug. The receiver behind the lug works loose from full contact with the epoxy bedding.

It wasn't all that noticable until the early 1960's when high power match rifles in 308 Win started breaking all the records held by the 30-06 and newer 30 caliber magnums were outscoring the 300 H&H at 1000 yards. All due to better quality Sierra hollow point match bullets replacing their FMJ ones. No problems when Winchester 70 actions were used.

A Remington field rep knew about this problem. He tried to get Remington to make a flat bottom & side receiver for centerfire match rifles but they nixed the idea. So Ikey Starks, the rep, took his Winchester 70 based 308 Win to the 1966 Highpower Nationals and won. He soon quit Remington and opened his own shop.

Meanwhile, one or two of the military teams put 2 inch long recoil lugs on their Rem 700 based 300 magnums in hopes they would work. Helped a little. They stuck with the Winchester 70 based magnums. The favorite was a single shot Win 70 action without the magazine port; solid steel there and the stiffest action around. Twenty were made for the US Army and Marine Corps teams.

Flat bottom/side aluminum sleeved Remington receivers worked out well. Their often breaking extractor got replaced by one like Sako uses. Nothing fixed Remington's reliability problems in rapid fire matches.
Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link that maybe has numbers. I'm not seeing how that can happen with a fully bedded recoil lug attached to a properly torqued barrel.

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link that maybe has numbers. I'm not seeing how that can happen with a fully bedded recoil lug attached to a properly torqued barrel.
The info I'm giving giving you is based on my experience with Remington actions and that of other top ranked competitive shooters. Some were riflesmiths building match winning record setting rifles.

How is the reliability of the magazine? The website says it comes with standard and magnum versions, does it take time to modify or is it plug and play? I have American Precision Arms XM bottom metal inlet ordered on my Manners stock that's being built. I wonder if this would fit.

Full disclosure, I helped design the magazine but we have run them hard for a year with no issues on 4-5 of our rifles. We haven't heard of any issues from our customers either.

They are plug and play in the Lone Peaks and we've got them working with a Defiance XM and Hawkins metal with a few small tweaks to the mag. We are sending some samples to APA next week to see if they work with their metal.

Another thought after reading a bunch. Good piece on the length of the ammo determines the action. What if it dips into both ranges?

We keep saying medium action and saw 270 WIN and 30-06 mentioned as long action. For simplicity, medium is still a commonly used reference. But what happened to "standard action?"

308 WIN - Short Action

270, 30-06, - Stand Aaction

300 WM - Long Action
Because of it's popularity, the amount of them sold, and the existence of so many clones, a Remington 700 has become the standard for comparison/reference. There are only two lengths of them, long and short. A 270, 30-06, and a 300 WM use the same length action, a long one.

There is no doubt location has an effect on language so I suppose it could be a factor here as well.

When I hear standard in a reference to an action, I don't think length. I think bolt face diameter/cartridge, as in standard or magnum.

That is extremely interesting. I wonder where those twenty rifles ended up?
I think the actions were sold through the DCM/CMP. A friend got one then rebolted it to use 308 Winchester ammo.

Some folks have bought via CMP Remington 700 barreled actions used in Mann rests at Lake City arsenal testing ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.