Medium action?

RobfromME

Good afternoon, all,

I see several references to a "medium" action, but I've not been able to find any information as to what makes it different from a long or short action, and what cartridges are intended to be used with a medium action.

Can you help me with this, or point me in the right direction to learn the difference?

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

All my best,
Rob

Thanks for the quick replies and great info! Very helpful.

Do the new Remingtons chambered in the 300 WSM use a medium action, or a short action?

Thanks again!

All my best,
Rob

@RobfromME

I like the idea of there being a definitive standard here. Us and other short action calibers can go beyond the 2.850. A few times I mention we are being hypocrites going beyond that. Mags on factory short actions can be 3" long.

Like 6.5 PRC(our enemy ;). I have seen one piece of load data from Hornady that shows a COAL under 2.86. Sure someone could cook up short loads. But if it doesn't fit in a few SR25 mags, I have a hard time saying it's a short action.

so do we reclassify some of these short actions as mid? Don't think there is a way to really do that from an industry stand point other than it being the same way that some people call anSUV a truck. I would scold them lol, other people agree, some just are " like...whatever...cool"

Good topic Rob. Thanks.

V/r,

Richie

"Send It, Quietly"

Good afternoon, all,

I see several references to a "medium" action, but I've not been able to find any information as to what makes it different from a long or short action, and what cartridges are intended to be used with a medium action.

Can you help me with this, or point me in the right direction to learn the difference?

All my best,
Rob
The custom actions that I consider a medium length are those that are made for 3.2" length cartridges. They are sold with bottom metal and magazine boxes made specifically for them. Defiance calls theirs an XM length. Borden also has one, I don't remember what he calls his. I think there are some others too.

Good afternoon, all,

All my best,
Rob
The bullet length determines the action

Hmmm.... To understand what a medium action is we should look back to where that was first defined. That would be the 98 Mauser commercial actions. Standard long actions would handle the .30-06 cases, Medium actions would handle .308 cases, and the short acting would handle cases like to .22-250 as in the Interarms Mini Mauser. F.W. Heym was one of the makers as was Interarms, among a whole host of commercial Mauser actions. The commercial Magnum Mauser was the longest.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.