Medium action?

Remington chose their short model 40x single shot action to fit a 30-338 Win Mag chambered barrel. Two big problems quickly showed up.

Bolt stop had to be disengaged to unload a live round.

Round receiver twisted loose from epoxy bedding after a few dozen rounds. Accuracy got worse.

While I'm very Pro Remington , I just don't Understand how they could make such a bad choice on one of their Flagship Custom shop rifles ,& continue to do the same for how many years .

Remington chose their short model 40x single shot action to fit a 30-338 Win Mag chambered barrel. Two big problems quickly showed up.

Bolt stop had to be disengaged to unload a live round.

Round receiver twisted loose from epoxy bedding after a few dozen rounds. Accuracy got worse.
I've seen the twisting issue posted before, but how can that happen when you have a recoil lug bedded into the stock and the recoil lug won't spin?

Defiance calls a medium action a short action. The XM is the intermediate of 3.2. So if you order one from Defiance be specific.

OP,
Great topic because I am ignorant to custom actions and am learning a lot here. Rem and tikka are all I know and fill my requirements BUT, like most here, I love to experiment with new parts

I've got 2 medium defiance deviant actions used for a 300 wsm and the other is a dasher. The footprint is essentially the same as a short action but when using a short action inletted stock you'll have to open up the bolt port stock area a bit.

Good afternoon, all,

I see several references to a "medium" action, but I've not been able to find any information as to what makes it different from a long or short action, and what cartridges are intended to be used with a medium action.

Can you help me with this, or point me in the right direction to learn the difference?

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

All my best,
Rob
try win 70 in 300wsm. 3" mag. box

I run a Lone Peak Medium Fuzion in a McMillan Adjustable Game Warden stock. With Hawkins BDL Metal I can get 2 rounds of 7 SAUM in there but if I switch to his BDM Metal and an InflectionDE magazine I get 5 rounds of SAUM with COAL up to 3.200".
7FCAE01B-ADA1-4F4B-A7F9-C35E3BCF3D35.jpeg

I've got 2 medium defiance deviant actions used for a 300 wsm and the other is a dasher. The footprint is essentially the same as a short action but when using a short action inletted stock you'll have to open up the bolt port stock area a bit.

The action Defiance calls a "Medium" is the same length as a Remington Model 700 short action. They make their ejection port .418" longer that a Model 700. Once upon a time you could order a Defiance action with a Remington length port but they dropped that option.

The action Defiance calls a "Short" action is the same length as a Remington Model 7 Action.

The action Defiance calls a "Long" action is the same as a Remington Model 700 long action.

The action length being discussed here, and is being called a "Medium", is the one Defiance calls an "XM" The footprint is not the same as a Remington Model 700 short action. The screw spacing is different.

Last edited:
The action Defiance calls a "Medium" is the same length as a Remington Model 700 short action. They make their ejection port .418" longer that a Model 700. Once upon a time you could order a Defiance action with a Remington length port but they dropped that option.

The action Defiance calls a "Short" action is the same length as a Remington Model 7 Action.

The action Defiance calls a "Long" action is the same as a Remington Model 700 long action.

The action length being discussed here, and is being called a "Medium", is the one Defiance calls an "XM" The footprint is not the same as a Remington Model 700 short action. The screw spacing is different.

the op says he seen references to med actions which is what defiance calls the action I'm talking about. The op never specified a particular action or brand, so in reference to what he seen you can't make the assumption ur making.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.