med long range black tail

rieses

well im one of those official lurkers,
but thought you all would like this.

We hunted an area in southern washington. draw only for the time we were there.
my buddies shot a couple decent bucks one at 350 and one at 750 yards.

ON sunday i found this guy on the trail of a doe.
I had to set up fast because the doe was on the move and the weather was unpredictable.
from the time i saw him to the time i shot was probably less than a minute.
I saw him, ranged while my buddy was setting up the spotter to make sure he was a shooter, then i peaked through the spotter while my buddy was practically peeing himself he was so excited and telling me to shoot before he got away.
i laid down he said 'on it' and i shot.
i aimed low behind the elbow to allow for the steep angle and the wind that was mostly at me but a bit from the left too.
bullet hit 4" from POA which was perfect.
took him through the shoulders.

I am shooting a 7wsm that i built this last summer
Rem stainless sa trued by nw actionworks, ptg one piece bolt with mag bolt face. SAC side bolt release mod.
rock 5r barrel sendero contour i turned it at my cousins shop with his help.
finish length at about 21" threaded for suppressor [still to come]
seekins rail, scope rings, forend rail for bipod, and bottom metal with detach mags. vortex viper pst 6-24 mrad. harris bipod, triad stock pack, B&C light tactical stock. stock trigger set to 2.5
gun is a bit heavy but plan to have it fluted and maybe change scopes out to something more compact
shooting 162 amax at 2950 with 4831sc and CCI mag primers win brass

bullet penetrated both shoulders and was about 1.5 inches from the hide on the offside, took out lungs and damaged spine. deer dropped instantly and thrashed his head for about 30 seconds or so then was out of site.
shot was 635 yards

Attachments

• IMG_1359.jpg
    IMG_1359.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 156
I don't think you need to change a thing on that gun. nice buck congrats.

Congratulations! What a buck! And the accomplishment made all the greater shooting a rifle you put together yourself. Well done.

Looks alot like a whitetail rack, doesn't it? Interesting.

You are shooting a very similar load as the one I have. I read mix reports about the amax for hunting, but I got to say that they are great for hunting. I have taken out two deer this season, and they are just deadly. I love the fact that they transfer all of the kinetic energy into the animal because the bullet is so explosive.

good hunting! congrats

Thanks
I have only heard good things about the amax from people who actually use them.
I know a guy who shot an old regressing bull in Idaho last year at 1200yds with the 162 amax and dropped it in its tracks.

i use them for my son in a 243 he has shot 2 deer with them and had good results one at 80 and the other at 150 yds

of course it all comes back to putting it where it counts.

A friend was with me on this hunt and shot a buck at 750 he hit quite a bit off and hit it in the butt. It demolished the pelvis and both hind quarters.

I am in Florida and am impressed with that deer. Wow! They are on my list but that is a fine one. Congrats.

Thanks!!
he unofficially scores 155 and change.

it was one of the funnest hunts ive been on for deer.
lots of deer lots of hot does, with bucks chasing them!!

awesome to share the hunt with some good friends and get a long shot on him.

gun):)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.