2010 California Public Land Zone D8 Black Tail

Camshaft

Well I, just got back last night from a good, end of season hunt. I shot this Black Tail at about 250 yard offhand, while he was heading up the mountain.
I was hiking along a ridgeline right above the big Kern River,I was seeing lots of sign so i knew i was in a good area. I saw movement to my right on the ridge across from me that was seperated by a small ravine. I looked over to see two good bucks running along the ridge about 100 yards away. I fired 2 shot but could'nt connect. They both dropped down into another ravine on the other side of the small ridge they were on and started up the next hill about 225yards away, as they came to the top, the larger one stopped for a look back. Big mistake. I anchored him with a 165gr Hornady GMX out of my .300rum going 3300fps. He way quartering up and away from me. The bullet entered his ribcage high on his right side and took out a kidney then traveled through about 6in of spine before exiting near the top of his left shoulder for about 13in of penetration. Cavitation was massive and the damage was devistating. The broken back sent him toppeling back down through the brush about 30yards where i found him dead and wedged under a log. He had 4 main points and no eye guard on one side and 3 main points and an eye guard on the other and was 21-1/2" on the inside. I didnt get a weight on the hoof, but he was 156lbs on the rail at the butchers today. He is by far the best buck i have shot in California. The way he is possed doesnt show the size of his body very well, but by the time we got back with the pack mule and camera, rigor had set in pretty well and i couldnt move him to freely.
KernFlattDeerHunting2010007.jpg

KernFlattDeerHunting2010010.jpg
[/IMG]
KernFlattDeerHunting2010014.jpg
[/IMG]
KernFlattDeerHunting2010013.jpg
[/IMG]

That is a dandy of a blacktail! Bigger than any of the ones I killed and I sure loved hunting them when I lived in California. Thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.