Measuring target distance with GPS

Do you have a range finder or do some of your buddies have laser range finders? I know range finders that go to 4000 yards are probably very expensive, but you could range the distance with a lesser ranger finder by using 3-4 'legs'. I would think this would be more accurate that google earth or a gps. At that distance, 15-20 yards error would be significant on your firing solution, I would think
I've ranged, in good conditions, over 4k with my sig kilo 3k. So it can be done. Will definitely work if you go halfway and range both directions.

Use a handheld GPS. Fix the shooting point and then go to the app in the GPS where you search for a fixed point in the database. Once you run that it gives you a distance and direction to that point. Now go to the target point and you can then move till you have the correct distance or close to it. I would then fix that target point as you can then show it on Google Earth. The fixed points will also indicate the height difference between them.

I have ballisticARC and it does give a satellite image and marks the target and shooting positions. It will give distance. I really like it. Each to his own. Good luck
Yes, this is an app called Ballistics Arc. It has a map mode that I believe works off of Google Earth.

The map mode will give you the measured distance to your target from your current position.

It is easy to put and use on your phone. It has good ballistics built in too. I think it uses JBM.

Well I guess my definition of easy does NOT include the hike which I know, in a 4000 foot desert and lots of rock, will not be easy. But the whole thing has to be done in the field with hand held computers/gps/cellphone
Not so, try to download an app I use called HuntStand it is very popular it will allow you to measure all kinds of things such as area of fields or line of sight distance or distance on a trail that is not straight it will do what you ask and if you zoom in the map as big as it will get when dropping your pin will get you the most accuracy

How easily can you accurately place your cross hairs? That is where I am having my problem. I will be in the field standing at my target position and the satellite view on the map is two years old so it wont show me standing there? I dont know in advance where I will be, I will have to be where the soil allows me to dig post holes. That I can not see from a satellite map that is two years old.
On Measure Map app, once you mark your shooting position, your phone will track you in real time and show your distance from the "shooting mark". You can then dig or like I did... drive a steel T-post down and continue down the line without resetting anything. This way each distance is measured from your "shooting mark" and not from your last "T-post or dig" marked location....More accurate.

Download a free trial of OnX. Get on one end, create a waypoint in the app and set a flag in the ground, go down to the other end approximately where you think you need to be. Tap the waypoint you created and select "go to waypoint" and it'll give you the direction and yards, move yourself (your phone) until you are where you need to be, and flag that spot. I'm sure it'll be within a few yards which is pretty accurate at that distance IMO.

Find a buddy with survey gear to shoot it accurately or provide a basis for you to do it on your specific terrain. Gaia GPS (Android app) provides off grid marking, tracking, and distance- but is limited by phone or tablet GPS details already spoken of. I us it for offroading and hunting lease use. Good luck.

Last edited:
I am setting up a range for up to 4,000 yards. I want to use a simple GPS for measurements. Not sure which ones will work. BUT....I DON'T NEED MAPS!! All I need is the ability to mark both ends of the path and have it calculate the distance. Assuming level ground. Even without the calculator I could use pencil and paper to calculate it if the unit would give me the GPS positions. It seems that most small handheld units are geared to using maps and land marks, not just raw GPS.

But there may be some out of the box solutions as well.
1) is there a program for tracking that will use my phone to find a tagged object and give me the distance to that object?
2) Since my phone does have GPS information that is accessible to the police, how can I access that information?
3) maybe time the bullet from firing line to target? That would be hard without very accurate instruments.
Any other ways other than a 3 mile tape measure?
ONx phone app has a measuring tool and you can save the lines created on it. Also Ballisics ARC by geo ballistics allows you to use GPS and satellite imagery on your phone to create range cards.

Download a free trial of OnX. Get on one end, create a waypoint in the app and set a flag in the ground, go down to the other end approximately where you think you need to be. Tap the waypoint you created and select "go to waypoint" and it'll give you the direction and yards, move yourself (your phone) until you are where you need to be, and flag that spot. I'm sure it'll be within a few yards which is pretty accurate at that distance IMO.
Or just sit on the couch and use the "measuring tool" and the satellite image to plot out potential shooting location and target location to save a ton of time and energy in the field.

We used Google Earth and two different guys Onx maps on there phone to get my 3027 yard target set up .
Plus we used three different rangefinder's and checked the best we could . Hit different spots and rechecked from both sides . In the end I had to adjust my dope up 1 moa . I felt that was a possibility of alot of things .

What a Rush to hit 1.72 miles !!
Cant imaging 4000 yards !

I am setting up a range for up to 4,000 yards. I want to use a simple GPS for measurements. Not sure which ones will work. BUT....I DON'T NEED MAPS!! All I need is the ability to mark both ends of the path and have it calculate the distance. Assuming level ground. Even without the calculator I could use pencil and paper to calculate it if the unit would give me the GPS positions. It seems that most small handheld units are geared to using maps and land marks, not just raw GPS.

But there may be some out of the box solutions as well.
1) is there a program for tracking that will use my phone to find a tagged object and give me the distance to that object?
2) Since my phone does have GPS information that is accessible to the police, how can I access that information?
3) maybe time the bullet from firing line to target? That would be hard without very accurate instruments.
Any other ways other than a 3 mile tape measure?
You could also look for a vintage military rangefinder as used by all the various forces in both WW1 and WW2.
Ones in good clean condition can often be found on EBay for about the price of the average new lazer rangefinder.
The Swiss made WILD that i still use was made in the early 70s and will range out to 10.000 meters.
Very accuratly as well, although i haven actually tried ranging nearly that far with mine.
Sun rain or snow makes no difference, if you can see the target you will get the range.
They weigh about 15#.
The Barr&Stroud model which i also owned and used for many years ranges out to 20.000, and some of those including the one i had measure in yards.
4000 yards would be a cake walk for one of those units.
Check with Cheaper Than Dirt, not long ago i heard they had some as new Wilds for about $400.
a