GPS

trueblue

What GPS units are you guys using, and are you puchasing the downloadable discs for your computer?

Been using the hundred dollar Garmin Etrex for years. Connects to the computer via the serial port and I use it in conjunction with Topo USA to transfer coordinates back and forth. Has worked well for me.

I too have used the Garmin Etrex for 5 years (specifically the Summit version). I like the build in electronic compass in this model; it thus indicates what direction to travel.

I however have recently upgraded to the new Garmin Etrex Vista HCx. As well as being more sensative (i.e. faster to determine position), it is also capable of holding topographical maps. So what more does one need .... actually a game finder would be nice ......

I too have been using the Garmin Etrex Vista, with the Garmin TOPO maps via their mapsource program. If I were going to buy one today, I would probably get the color display, which is much easier to see, and also a model that used memory sticks.

I used for more then 3 years Garmin Rhino 520, with Topo Canada map.
Comes with Radio, compas, and if all your hunting friends have the same Rhino (120, 130, 520, 530) you can see on the map your friends location every time when they are talking with you. I used this function with great success for recovery, or animal retrieval, or emergency situation.

I have been looking at the Garmin 60CSx model. It comes in kit form with a CD topo of the US if I'm not mistaken. I am assuming you can download from your computor certain topo areas from this CD. Does anyone do this?

yes, you can upload,or download your maps, or portion of random maps from computer to gps.
also you can save your tracks,wayints, markpoints, etc from gps to pc.
if the gps is comming with usb port you will have faster transfer rate.

I have been looking at the Garmin 60CSx model. It comes in kit form with a CD topo of the US if I'm not mistaken. I am assuming you can download from your computor certain topo areas from this CD. Does anyone do this?

I do this all the time. My Etrex Vista will hold about 20 Mb of maps, so I can load most of where I am going to be. If I had more memory, I would just load all of CO, WY, UT, MT. The MapSource program allows you to select regions of a map to transfer to the GPS. You can also mark waypoints on the maps, and store those. This can be very handy when you are traveling in new areas, and are looking for public land boundaries, BLM, boat ramps.

On the trail, you can mark various locations, and then send them back to your computer for storage.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts