Mdt hnt26 or xlr element 4.0 magnesium?

Different mechanism with my Cross, and admittedly I believe less user friendly, but it doesn't bother me at all. Open or close it is easy enough and don't see it being an issue.
Perfect I read a few comments that it wasn't overly user friendly. But who knows if that person was just bashing the stock or actually had user experience

Perfect I read a few comments that it wasn't overly user friendly. But who knows if that person was just bashing the stock or actually had user experience
I was in and out of the Jeep for over a week covering country looking for mule deer in MT, besides the shorter overall length getting in and out being.great, opening and closing the stock was simply not an issue. For the times it is strapped to the pack and then removed, no problem.

I have the LA Savage version of the XLR EMG2, and it's a nice piece of kit, but I'm actually quite disappointed in the function for hunting.

1) The folding stock can't be used in conjunction with a sling. As in slung AND folded. It also won't fit in normal gun cases folded due to the thickness, and the pistol grip means it's too "tall" to fit in my double rifle case with another rifle even when unfolded. It's also tall enough with a scope, that it's too tall for "single rifle" cases generally, and therefore requires it's own big *** case, adding a bit of hassle to range trips. Because of those issues, the folding stock only offers an advantage if you are strapping it to a backpack or the like. The folder mechanism also adds $150 and 5 oz to the package.

3) I have the TR2 buttstock, and there isn't enough "flat" on the toe for a reliable ride across a bag, so I had to drop another $60 (and 5 oz) on the bag rider. Not a huge issue, but the bag rider makes it pretty difficult to carry in the "low ready" position when stalking, as it interferes with your strong hand wrist. It's also a bit "snaggy" on your gear/pack.

4) The cheek piece on the TR2 isn't long enough, so it tends to snag on my muffs under recoil (lowish profile Howard Leight Impact Sport e-muffs). Hence I get deafened by my 300WM with a 4 port MBM, requiring double ear pro or forgoing the e-muffs for plugs.

5) And last but not least...It's pretty heavy once you have everything on it. Mine weights in at 60 oz with TR2 stock, bipod rail, bag rider, and a 3 round steel mag. My Savage OEM stock (Old LR Hunter model with kydex cheek riser included) weights 54 oz ready to go...

That said, it's a well built and well thought out stock system. I'm glad I tried it, but for me personally, I'll be sticking with "conventional" geometry stocks in the future.

Hope that helps.

Element-Mg-CF-Med.jpg

I have the LA Savage version of the XLR EMG2, and it's a nice piece of kit, but I'm actually quite disappointed in the function for hunting.

1) The folding stock can't be used in conjunction with a sling. As in slung AND folded. It also won't fit in normal gun cases folded due to the thickness, and the pistol grip means it's too "tall" to fit in my double rifle case with another rifle even when unfolded. It's also tall enough with a scope, that it's too tall for "single rifle" cases generally, and therefore requires it's own big *** case, adding a bit of hassle to range trips. Because of those issues, the folding stock only offers an advantage if you are strapping it to a backpack or the like. The folder mechanism also adds $150 and 5 oz to the package.

3) I have the TR2 buttstock, and there isn't enough "flat" on the toe for a reliable ride across a bag, so I had to drop another $60 (and 5 oz) on the bag rider. Not a huge issue, but the bag rider makes it pretty difficult to carry in the "low ready" position when stalking, as it interferes with your strong hand wrist. It's also a bit "snaggy" on your gear/pack.

4) The cheek piece on the TR2 isn't long enough, so it tends to snag on my muffs under recoil (lowish profile Howard Leight Impact Sport e-muffs). Hence I get deafened by my 300WM with a 4 port MBM, requiring double ear pro or forgoing the e-muffs for plugs.

5) And last but not least...It's pretty heavy once you have everything on it. Mine weights in at 60 oz with TR2 stock, bipod rail, bag rider, and a 3 round steel mag. My Savage OEM stock (Old LR Hunter model with kydex cheek riser included) weights 54 oz ready to go...

That said, it's a well built and well thought out stock system. I'm glad I tried it, but for me personally, I'll be sticking with "conventional" geometry stocks in the future.

Hope that helps.
Great insight for others when it comes to storage!

Hope that helps.

View attachment 530387
And in my case, fasteners including action screws kept coming loose.

Hope that helps.

View attachment 530387
That is exactly what I'm looking to hear. The good, the bad, and the ugly truths and experiences.

I use the MDT HNT26 on my 7prc. I'm happy with it so far. Not exactly the nicest looking but it is functional. The grip seems to be hate it or love it. I like it and it fits my hand well. The carbon fore end and grip means you're not gripping metal in the cold. You can actually stuff a hot hands into the bottom of the grip if you wanted to. My only complaint so far was the lack of a recoil pad. I replaced mine with a recoil pad from OBI Design and I really like that.

I believe with the folder mine weighed right at 28oz. The recoil pad probably added 2 oz or so over the original but overall I'm very happy with the weight and function.

I have no experience with the XLR so I can't compare.

I had the XLR 4.0 element folder. For reference, I also have rifles with MCS EH1 and LRH, as well as the McMillan GW LR.

With the XLR, I had to focus on my shooting form a little more to maintain accuracy, and it jumped a bit more on recoil. I really liked the full length arca rail, combined with a RRS tripod and ball head made for a great stable shooting platform that could be adjusted relatively quickly. And the folding feature was nice if strapping to a backpack, but I couldn't figure out a practical way to fold it and carry it on the sling (running suppressed, trying to reduce height). Would be nice if they added another sling cup to accommodate this.

In the end, for me the cold weather aspect mentioned by others, combined with the slight difference in ergonomics for shooting form, outweighed the convenience of the folder and full length rail, which had me selling it and going back to the stocks mentioned above, which are all in the same weight class. .

If I was in need of a function specific rifle primarily used for backpack hunting, going deep with heavy loads and wanting to strap my rifle to my pack, I would definitely have kept it. In that scenario, I think it checks the boxes but I would need to spend more time on perfecting my shooting form for this setup.

I should add for hunting, I carried my rifle in a Kifaru Gunbearer. I have a 20" barrel with suppressor and it still carried low enough that the suppressor wasn't over my head. There was times climbing around the mountains in PA when it got too steep and I didn't want a rifle on my side. I just folded it, threw it in the stretch pocket of my Kifaru Bedlam bag and strapped it down.

I can't help with either of those chassis but I can speak to mdt whom I am very happy with, I bought a mdt lss gen 2 xl from optics planet on clearance for like $400 with buttock and grip in American flag livery. It showed up with damaged packaging and the hardware bag was missing. Optics plant didn't have another chassis to ship and I didn't have action screws so I called mdt to see if I could buy them and even though it had nothing to do with them they refused payment and shipped a new hardware bag out the next day. But the aluminum is cold!!!!! I bought it kind of as an experiment to see if I would like a chassis and I do for the most part but I don't care for packing it around so it's on a target rifle and my hunting rifles still wear a traditional style stock. Pic of my son shooting with it. I can say the best group from that rifle did come while mounted in chassis…
IMG_0976.jpeg

You do have to use bigger cases to store and carry, but that's any chassis. I use double rifle soft cases, for one chassis. That is just for the extra room and padding for optics or electronics (thermal or NV). Just what works for me.
Folder also comes in handy, easier to clean the barrel without moving the adjustable cheek.
I am not a huge proponent of folders. I have had and seen some that develop wiggle in the joint, very annoying and affects precision for me. HNT26 folder seems solid so far.