MDT HNT26 Chassis - Field Opinions?

THE1LAF

I searched MDT "HNT26" in our forum and a large majority of the results are of people selling the chassis.
Across google there's a lot of living room/ gun safe pics, but not a lot of field pics & discussion.

I'm building a new "lightweight" rifle and have one on order.

What am I missing? What is everyone's experience?

Thanks,
WB

I love mine, don't have a single complaint. I built a 284 Win-imp to be a hunt it all rifle.
I went for the non-folder. I have a phobia of sloppy folders.

I did put the elite grip. I didn't like the angle of the factory one and the rubberized is nice

I love mine, don't have a single complaint. I built a 284 Win-imp to be a hunt it all rifle.
I went for the non-folder. I have a phobia of sloppy folders.

I did put the elite grip. I didn't like the angle of the factory one and the rubberized is nice
I've held one and was on the fence, idk why they came out with the angled grip in the first place when the precision rifle industry is all about vertical grips..
Now they have the Carbon Vertical grip, but it isn't a base chassis option, so I'll have an extra $$$ carbon grip laying around.

I didn't like the feel of the carbon grip but that's just a preference. I would like to try the carbon vertical before I bought it. If the wood Grip came in vertical that'd be a no brainer.
I was also looking at the vertical adjust recoil pad... MDT lists it as compatible just "not weight optimized".. lol

So I have been hunting with one for the past two years and it is by far the best chassis I've ever used. It's a few oz lighter than my EH1 with bottom metal but I find it more comfortable to me. I personally like the shape of the grip as it fits my hand well, it definitely makes maneuvering the rifle easier than a traditional stock. If they weren't so expensive and offered a 3.715 LA version I'd own more.

IMG_6706.jpeg
IMG_1640.jpeg

I bought the wood grip mainly for looks but the carbon fiber one does have one big advantage.
IMG_6771.jpeg

That being said if I had to do it over I would have skipped the factory ARCA and added the SRS pic/arca rail in the front and a short arca section towards the back. The carbon fiber arca is a bit slick and it is a bit uncomfortable to hold without gloves in the middle of the hand guard and just in front of the front action screw.

So I have been hunting with one for the past two years and it is by far the best chassis I've ever used. It's a few oz lighter than my EH1 with bottom metal but I find it more comfortable to me. I personally like the shape of the grip as it fits my hand well, it definitely makes maneuvering the rifle easier than a traditional stock. If they weren't so expensive and offered a 3.715 LA version I'd own more.

View attachment 490339View attachment 490340

I bought the wood grip mainly for looks but the carbon fiber one does have one big advantage.
View attachment 490338

That being said if I had to do it over I would have skipped the factory ARCA and added the SRS pic/arca rail in the front and a short arca section towards the back. The carbon fiber arca is a bit slick and it is a bit uncomfortable to hold without gloves in the middle of the hand guard and just in front of the front action screw.
I like the heat pack idea, the one I held didn't have Arca but the one I ordered did. I heard some people say it's slick to hold, now actually holding in hand I would agree 100% on the Arca rail. I think I might try some rubber M-LOK inserts & see if that helps.

Last edited:
I like mine a lot. I have a arca rail folder in long action. Never thought about the arca rail being uncomfortable to hold. The folder locks up nice and tight with no play. I'm on the smaller side so I don't have any spacers and like the short length of pull. Only thing I'd like to change is retrofitting a Limbsaver recoil pad. I like the carbon grip. Feels warm to the touch and like the ergonomics of it.

I bought one off ebay for $1300. For me, it was cheaper than getting a Manners or McMillan for ~$900, bottom metal for $200 plus a bedding job. And it's a few ounces lighter so I was able to justify the price.

Still not 100% sure I like the looks of it, I much rather prefer the look of the Manners LRH or similar.

Mine is pretty cool, I like the design and weight but I do think it is overpriced like all MDT stuff. My main complaint is the atrocious grip designed for extraterrestrial hands that needs replacement. The other is the unfolding button for the stock will mar the magnesium if the stock is pulled open prematurely or the button itself is not depressed all the way.

20230914_141324.jpg
20230914_141402.jpg
20230914_141344.jpg