McRem scope test

Elite Muzzleloader

Todays goal was to check the Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 XR tracking capabilities and then back out to 400 yards. I remounted the scope onto a 20moa weaver one piece base. Everything lined up great didn't need to bed the base which was a plus. I have a lot more adjustment now in my scope however haven't had a chance to check it.

Todays climate
Temp 38
Pressure 1023hPa 1023
Humidity 70%
5 mph wind south to very slightly southeast
Target is directly south

Rifle McRem 45
Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 XR
Boyds Laminate Stock Bedded
Trigger 2.5lbs

Also I put a stop on my ramrod which I really like and seems to make things more accurate.

Load
250 FTX
12/58 4759/4198
Velocity roughly 2760 fps

Tracking Test is at 100 Yards

400 Yards the FTX was spot on as far as adjustment from the Strelok the group wasn't great but I wasn't focusing on groups at 400 as much as I usually do.

400 for the BE's (2723 fps) wasn't as satisfying I figured the BC to be around .250 however I am thinking more like .240 or maybe little less. I was aiming for the upper left target on this one.

Great scope test. That collar is a good idea, the only thing better would be a force gage. I suspect we'll see more loose and smokeless shooters using that method in the future :D

Nice totally clear blue sky in NE MI today, about 38°. However we have a sustained 18mph wind blowing directly across my range, with gusts to 30mph :( However, tomorrow its supposed to be near 50° and a 5mph SW wind. My range runs SW to NE :)

Do you get to walk out back to shoot 400 or do you have to travel? I can't get 400 here and will have to go to the Sportsman's club, where they have ranges have a 600.

Last edited:
I game to travel about 30 min drive. I have some ideas why my group wasn't that great. One I think I broke a rib at work on Thursday so I'm in some pain. Two the bullets on the BE's were loose going down next time I'll knurl a little bit. Three in going to try a straight charge of 4198 see if that changes anything.

Right now I'm very happy with my scopes tracking.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.