McRem scope test

Discussion in 'Muzzleloader Hunting' started by Elite Muzzleloader, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Elite Muzzleloader

Elite Muzzleloader Well-Known Member

Todays goal was to check the Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 XR tracking capabilities and then back out to 400 yards. I remounted the scope onto a 20moa weaver one piece base. Everything lined up great didn't need to bed the base which was a plus. I have a lot more adjustment now in my scope however haven't had a chance to check it.

Todays climate
    Temp 38
    Pressure 1023hPa 1023
    Humidity 70%
    5 mph wind south to very slightly southeast
    Target is directly south

[​IMG]

Rifle McRem 45
    Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 XR
    Boyds Laminate Stock Bedded
    Trigger 2.5lbs

[​IMG]

Also I put a stop on my ramrod which I really like and seems to make things more accurate.

[​IMG]

Load
    250 FTX
    12/58 4759/4198
    Velocity roughly 2760 fps

Tracking Test is at 100 Yards

[​IMG]

400 Yards the FTX was spot on as far as adjustment from the Strelok the group wasn't great but I wasn't focusing on groups at 400 as much as I usually do.

[​IMG]

400 for the BE's (2723 fps) wasn't as satisfying I figured the BC to be around .250 however I am thinking more like .240 or maybe little less. I was aiming for the upper left target on this one.

[​IMG]

2. ENCORE

ENCORE Well-Known Member

Great scope test. That collar is a good idea, the only thing better would be a force gage. I suspect we'll see more loose and smokeless shooters using that method in the future :D

Nice totally clear blue sky in NE MI today, about 38°. However we have a sustained 18mph wind blowing directly across my range, with gusts to 30mph :( However, tomorrow its supposed to be near 50° and a 5mph SW wind. My range runs SW to NE :)

Do you get to walk out back to shoot 400 or do you have to travel? I can't get 400 here and will have to go to the Sportsman's club, where they have ranges have a 600.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  3. Elite Muzzleloader

Elite Muzzleloader Well-Known Member

I game to travel about 30 min drive. I have some ideas why my group wasn't that great. One I think I broke a rib at work on Thursday so I'm in some pain. Two the bullets on the BE's were loose going down next time I'll knurl a little bit. Three in going to try a straight charge of 4198 see if that changes anything.

Right now I'm very happy with my scopes tracking.