Scope

JMack

I’m ordering a cva optima .50 cal. I’m new to this inline muzzleloader game I’ll be using for whitetails in the timber, shots 10 yards to 150. What scope do you recommend? Turrets? Bdc?

id like to keep this simple and reasonably priced. 300$ for gun, 3-400$ for scope.

Thanks
jmack

just_jon

LRH Team Member
i would only go with a BDC under two circumstances If you (1) have an accurate load with velocity that aligns with the reticle; and (2) you never plan on changing that load. I put a Nikon 3x9 BDC on my Encore which was calibrated for 240 grain bullets and 150 grains of black powder. My problem was that I was never able to shoot that combination better than 2-1/2” @ 100 yards. I eventually ended up shooting bug eyes with 100 grains of BH209, but the reduction in velocity made the BDC useless,

JMack

i would only go with a BDC under two circumstances If you (1) have an accurate load with velocity that aligns with the reticle; and (2) you never plan on changing that load. I put a Nikon 3x9 BDC on my Encore which was calibrated for 240 grain bullets and 150 grains of black powder. My problem was that I was never able to shoot that combination better than 2-1/2” @ 100 yards. I eventually ended up shooting bug eyes with 100 grains of BH209, but the reduction in velocity made the BDC useless,
yep makes sense. I’m thinking I’d be ok with a basic 3-10 duplex just sighted in 1” high at 100

sourdough44

I use a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest on my Knight, simple reticle. The longest shot I took in recent years was about 125 yards, most I do is hold a little high on fur. I sight-in dead on at 75 yards, the distance I shoot most often, or closer.

JMack

I use a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest on my Knight, simple reticle. The longest shot I took in recent years was about 125 yards, most I do is hold a little high on fur. I sight-in dead on at 75 yards, the distance I shoot most often, or closer.
That sounds like a great setup