Scope

JMack

I'm ordering a cva optima .50 cal. I'm new to this inline muzzleloader game I'll be using for whitetails in the timber, shots 10 yards to 150. What scope do you recommend? Turrets? Bdc?

id like to keep this simple and reasonably priced. 300$ for gun, 3-400$ for scope.

Thanks
jmack

i would only go with a BDC under two circumstances If you (1) have an accurate load with velocity that aligns with the reticle; and (2) you never plan on changing that load. I put a Nikon 3x9 BDC on my Encore which was calibrated for 240 grain bullets and 150 grains of black powder. My problem was that I was never able to shoot that combination better than 2-1/2" @ 100 yards. I eventually ended up shooting bug eyes with 100 grains of BH209, but the reduction in velocity made the BDC useless,

i would only go with a BDC under two circumstances If you (1) have an accurate load with velocity that aligns with the reticle; and (2) you never plan on changing that load. I put a Nikon 3x9 BDC on my Encore which was calibrated for 240 grain bullets and 150 grains of black powder. My problem was that I was never able to shoot that combination better than 2-1/2" @ 100 yards. I eventually ended up shooting bug eyes with 100 grains of BH209, but the reduction in velocity made the BDC useless,
yep makes sense. I'm thinking I'd be ok with a basic 3-10 duplex just sighted in 1" high at 100

I use a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest on my Knight, simple reticle. The longest shot I took in recent years was about 125 yards, most I do is hold a little high on fur. I sight-in dead on at 75 yards, the distance I shoot most often, or closer.

I use a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest on my Knight, simple reticle. The longest shot I took in recent years was about 125 yards, most I do is hold a little high on fur. I sight-in dead on at 75 yards, the distance I shoot most often, or closer.
That sounds like a great setup

Buy something with a BDC and practice with it. Mine worked out nicely. Basically 100 yard zero and 50 yard increments between dots. Shot it through my chronograph, estimated bullet BC, then verified by actually shooting it.

Attachments

• 9B6A6C5E-2336-4A78-A9DB-EFC800B51B97.png
    9B6A6C5E-2336-4A78-A9DB-EFC800B51B97.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 186
Absolutely how I do it. shoot it until your stadia line or mildots are hitting on the dot with known yardages and write it down on a piece of paper and then shrink it down on the copier and then laminate it and stick it in your butler creek scope cap so it's right there when you need it Also don't forget your reading glasses lol

I second the Nikon bdc. Just about everyone of my weapons had a variant of theres on it. I've got a monarch 5, prostaff, inline bdc for the muzzy, and the bolt xr for the Xbox. Really like the Nikon SpotOn app because it's pretty true for each scope and weapon combo when I put the data in.

Just know about Nikon............... They are completely OUT of the scope business. The lifetime warrantee is actually useless now. They have replaced a few scopes, but when the stock runs out, you'll get a voucher for a set of binos or other Nikon products.

Look over the Vortex line of scopes.

Just know about Nikon............... They are completely OUT of the scope business. The lifetime warrantee is actually useless now. They have replaced a few scopes, but when the stock runs out, you'll get a voucher for a set of binos or other Nikon products.

Look over the Vortex line of scopes.
I had heard that about them going out but it was a handful of articles so wasn't sure how that would work which sucks. And yeah I got a few vortex as well. My Nikon scopes just seem better quality to me than the comparable vortex ones and I really prefer the open center bdc of the Nikon.

I had heard that about them going out but it was a handful of articles so wasn't sure how that would work which sucks. And yeah I got a few vortex as well. My Nikon scopes just seem better quality to me than the comparable vortex ones and I really prefer the open center bdc of the Nikon.
I've had five (5) Nikon Monarch scopes and I've always appreciated the glass. Always clear and to the edges.

BUT............ They didn't hold up to the amount of shooting I was doing. I've had to send them all in for repairs. They are all gone now except for 1 that is on a 17HMR.

I've had five (5) Nikon Monarch scopes and I've always appreciated the glass. Always clear and to the edges.

BUT............ They didn't hold up to the amount of shooting I was doing. I've had to send them all in for repairs. They are all gone now except for 1 that is on a 17HMR.
I'm shooting mine on a ruger American 7mm-08 and so far no problems but by the sound of it I'm going to knock on some wood lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.