McRem Range Report

Elite Muzzleloader

I received a boyds stock from a friend that was bedded for a rem. I tried to install yet wasn't fitting correctly. My rifle was a little different due to the fact I have a McGowen barrel and my friends is running a Pacnor. After we had talked on the phone we decided to send my rifle back to him to give it a look over. I sent the rifle to him along with some JB Weld. He received the rifle in less than 24 hrs. He ended up completely rebedding the rifle. I had already mounted a Nikon Prostaff 5 XR 3.5-14x40 on the set up and adjusted the trigger. Set at 2 1/2 pounds my friend proceeded to the range.

The load used for the test was

250 FTX sized to .451 slightly knurled
wool wad
10/58 4759/4198 (2750fps)
Win 209 primer

Zero is 200 yards

200 yard shot group @ 1"

After the zero my friend proceeded to the 300 yard range. We wanted to see how the scope tracked along with how accurate the strelok pro app was. After he told me all the info I plugged it in hit calculate and it gave us an adjustment of 3.75 moa (15 clicks) up.

Here is the result of the scope track and strelok pro test.

300 yards 2 1/4" group.

For our long range hunting we plan on using Parker BE's or the Match Hunters 275. Depends on accuracy. One last thing I'd like to mention the 250 FTX can and have killed deer out to and little beyond 300+ yards. We believe they could be used for 400 yard shots as a max range. As long as the hunter gets familiar with their hunting set up. Practice makes all the difference.

This is not no 50 yard muzzleloader. By the end of the year would like to be moa out to 800 yards. The main goal is 500 yards and better than moa.

It's a McGowen 45 designed to shoot smokeless.

45 Caliber, 1/22" twist
Profile: DMB #1, 1.20" for the first 2.5", radius tapers to .950" over the next 3.5", then straight tapers to .850" at the muzzle

They are also using Pacnor barrels which run a little tighter however both barrels are proven tack drivers. I went with the McGowen because you don't always have to size your bullet to fit. The Parker 275 BE's fit perfect just waiting to shoot those until I have the right load or close to it. Not to mention it's $.50 a shot verses $1.10 with the Parker's.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.