400 Yard Range Report

Elite Muzzleloader

Finally was able to take my McRem out today after I had sent it off to Panhandle. Was able to check zero and make a couple adjustments here is what I ended up with.

McRem 45 Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 XR

12/58 4759/4198
275 Parker BE
Win209 Primer
Wool Wad

Temp 56 Degrees

105 Yards

400 Yards (398 Lazered)

I shot several FTX also today but they were the ones I was trying to index and I didn't like what I saw. I don't believe running them threw the barrel drop and then indexing them will work. If I had a full form die I believe it would be different. Either way this is why I am not posting those results because I think they are flawed.

I am still learning my scope and adjustments for long range shooting. I have learned so far to make sure you have all the correct information in the Strelok App otherwise you will be off. I didn't get the correct barometer or altitude info in the app. So my adjustment was off. I was 8" to the left and 8" low. I have a lot more practicing to do and figuring the app out. However I am very happy with my group at 400 yards and hope it continues and wasn't luck. Also wasn't able to get velocities because I forgot my tripod for the chronograph another key factor in todays shooting.

I need to make a check sheet and also bring a notepad to take better notes.

What are some of the procedures one does when working up a load and taking notes?

Thanks

RR

Elite Muzzleloader

That is a good shooting rifle you have there. It is worth keeping good notes on that load.

I didn't used to keep very good records but after I forgot various good loads I started keeping better track. I have a system I like which is to take the notes right on the target and then keep it. I developed my own targets (see pic below) and print them myself. I like this particular target because with the relatively light background you can see the bullet holes at 200 yards plus with the 1 inch squares you can tell when a load sucks right from the bench.

I mark another copy of the target I have at the bench while shooting including which shot went where, velocity etc. Once I get the target with the bullet holes in it off the board I transfer the info to that target and pitch the markup. I've found this info to be useful to figure out what you were doing back when. I have a pile of targets sitting here that is about 5 inches tall after several years of developing loads for a bunch of different rifles. More than once I've been glad I had this info for all kinds of reasons - scopes gone bad, new powder lots, etc.

Attachments

• 338 RUM 210 TTSX 001.jpg
    338 RUM 210 TTSX 001.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 87
Wow that is very neat I'll start doing it that way. Thanks! After I was on my way back home I realized I forgot to put the correct pressure, altitude, and temp in. Along with I forgot to adjust the side parallax adjustment for the 400 yard shots. Which has me scratching my head on my group.

If I use your sheet I wouldn't forget all that stuff. I might make one up that reminds me all the stuff I need to put in for the strelok pro app. Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.