400 Yard Range Report

Discussion in 'Muzzleloader Hunting' started by Elite Muzzleloader, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Elite Muzzleloader

Elite Muzzleloader Well-Known Member

Finally was able to take my McRem out today after I had sent it off to Panhandle. Was able to check zero and make a couple adjustments here is what I ended up with.

McRem 45 Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 XR

12/58 4759/4198
    275 Parker BE
    Win209 Primer
    Wool Wad

Temp 56 Degrees

105 Yards

[​IMG]

400 Yards (398 Lazered)

[​IMG]

I shot several FTX also today but they were the ones I was trying to index and I didn't like what I saw. I don't believe running them threw the barrel drop and then indexing them will work. If I had a full form die I believe it would be different. Either way this is why I am not posting those results because I think they are flawed.

I am still learning my scope and adjustments for long range shooting. I have learned so far to make sure you have all the correct information in the Strelok App otherwise you will be off. I didn't get the correct barometer or altitude info in the app. So my adjustment was off. I was 8" to the left and 8" low. I have a lot more practicing to do and figuring the app out. However I am very happy with my group at 400 yards and hope it continues and wasn't luck. Also wasn't able to get velocities because I forgot my tripod for the chronograph another key factor in todays shooting.

I need to make a check sheet and also bring a notepad to take better notes.

What are some of the procedures one does when working up a load and taking notes?

Thanks

RR

2. etisll40

etisll40 Well-Known Member

That's an impressive group, looks like the bullets didn't wobble at all. How fast did they leave the muzzle?

3. Elite Muzzleloader

I forgot my tripod for the chrono so I'm not sure but figuring 2800fps

4. ENCORE

ENCORE Well-Known Member

Great 400 yd group :)

5. Engineering101

Engineering101 Well-Known Member

Elite Muzzleloader

That is a good shooting rifle you have there. It is worth keeping good notes on that load.

I didn't used to keep very good records but after I forgot various good loads I started keeping better track. I have a system I like which is to take the notes right on the target and then keep it. I developed my own targets (see pic below) and print them myself. I like this particular target because with the relatively light background you can see the bullet holes at 200 yards plus with the 1 inch squares you can tell when a load sucks right from the bench.

I mark another copy of the target I have at the bench while shooting including which shot went where, velocity etc. Once I get the target with the bullet holes in it off the board I transfer the info to that target and pitch the markup. I've found this info to be useful to figure out what you were doing back when. I have a pile of targets sitting here that is about 5 inches tall after several years of developing loads for a bunch of different rifles. More than once I've been glad I had this info for all kinds of reasons - scopes gone bad, new powder lots, etc.

Attached Files:

6. Elite Muzzleloader

Wow that is very neat I'll start doing it that way. Thanks! After I was on my way back home I realized I forgot to put the correct pressure, altitude, and temp in. Along with I forgot to adjust the side parallax adjustment for the 400 yard shots. Which has me scratching my head on my group.

If I use your sheet I wouldn't forget all that stuff. I might make one up that reminds me all the stuff I need to put in for the strelok pro app. Thanks again!