1,000 Yard Match

Took 1st place.

Like Jeff said, "If you want to be humbled, lay down in a wet grass field with cross sticks and fire away at 1,000 yds."

On Saturday we got through all but the last 1/2 of the last relay at 1,000yds. Unfortunately we were held up for a couple hours because of the military planes landing and/or dropping supplies by parachute. Bob and I didn't get to shoot our first rounds at 1,000. Jeff and Chris made it and we quit for the day. TIRED. So the 800, 900 and 1st half of the 1k was finished.
Sunday morning the weather reports were all calling for 90% rain and storms but, we were able to finish. Bob and I finished up quickly, much more quickly than the cartridge shooters. We did good in both shooting and doing it fast, as it just poured rain. It quit long enough that the cartridge guys were able to finish and they called it a day. That left two 1k relays that couldn't be shot for storms.

I'll say this, for all of us it was a learning experience. It was tough laying in wet field grass trying to hold still on cross sticks. The wind about drove us nuts. You might dial 6moa left after loading and watching the flags, but when you got into position, you'd dial 12moa back to the right. That's 120" change in that short of time! Then of course the wind might be in your face for the first couple hundred yards, then be either a full right or left wind half way to the target.

One thing for certain........... a 120gr VOLUME charge of BH209 WILL shoot to 1,000yds. IIRC both Bob and I were shooting the 350gr XLD's, Jeff was shooting 327gr Parkers and Chris was shooting 300gr Pittman bullets. With my 100yd zero, I needed 60.5moa for 1K.

Most ranges you shoot north, this one you shoot south. The wind was at 15mph+ but again, the direction could change at a moments notice, mostly from SE and then would change to SW. You HAD to keep up with the wind.

For none of us ever having fired at these ranges, especially from the position and the wind changes, IMO, we did excellent for the first time. Believe me though, its not easy laying in wet grass trying to hold center off cross sticks even at 800yds for the shot to break and it doesn't get any easier at 900 or 1,000yds.

I'm happy to say that Hoppy was impressed and he told us that from now on, modern inlines would become part of the program!!!! Now what needs to happen is, WE NEED MORE SHOOTERS TO SHOW! So we did it, we have a foot in the door for LONG RANGE shooting, just need shooters to show.

When the shooting started, everyone was pretty busy, regardless of their responsibility, so not a lot of photos.

Final score sheet.

Finished scores.jpg

score sheet for 800yds.jpg

score sheet for 900yds.jpg

1000yd score.jpg

Ok boys and girls.........

We long range shooters have opened the door for ALL to shoot LONG RANGE. They are making modern inline shooting part of the NMLRA BPCR matches. Thank you Hoppy!

Now what is needed for the future of long range shooting, is participation. We need to get more shooters to Camp Atterbury this September. Yes, Nationals will be starting that weekend but, one can shoot at Atterbury and then head to Friendship.

We have the chance to grow our sport but we need shooters!

I'm not certain that I'll be able to attend, as I'm having a total knee replacement on the 28th. Rather the doctor will allow it is one thing. Rather the wife will allow it is another.

Either way...... All you "tack drivers", think about shooting in these matches. The rules are pretty simple, 120grs VOLUME of BH, if that's your preferred propellant. Shooting prone and off cross sticks. I will make one suggestion...... you'll have a tough time with even a 20moa mount to reach 1K without holding over.

We need shooters to continue to grow long range muzzleloader shooting.

You'll have a "blast".