McMillan Stock question

I have a buddy with a McMillan stock for his 300 WIN Mag Browning A bolt. He got a new one and is offering it to me cheap.

I have a 7mm Rem Mag, I think the action is the same exact size, but would the larger barrel channel be an issue?

Would i need to bed it in some way?

Would this slightly larger channel effect my accuracy at all?

Would this larger size channel allow me to re-barrel to a different contour barrel in the future if so desired?

thanks

joe

I have a buddy with a McMillan stock for his 300 WIN Mag Browning A bolt. He got a new one and is offering it to me cheap.

I have a 7mm Rem Mag, I think the action is the same exact size, but would the larger barrel channel be an issue?

Would i need to bed it in some way?

Would this slightly larger channel effect my accuracy at all?

Would this larger size channel allow me to re-barrel to a different contour barrel in the future if so desired?

thanks

joe
You should bed the action to the stock on any new pairing.

The larger barrel channel won't cause a problem other than perhaps looking a bit odd with excess free space between the barrel and stock and perhaps with crap getting in between the stock and barrel than needs to then be removed such as sand, gravel, twigs, leaves etc.

If there is so much gap it bothers you, you can always put a few layers of tape on the barrel and do a full length bedding to fill the excess.

When you remove the tape from the barrel, you should have a nicely floated barrel with even edges running the length of the stock.

Trim off the excess sand down the edges and paint it to suit you.

The alternative would be to live with the gap and if you decide to rebarrel to a larger barrel taper you will have to remove less or no material from the channel to make it fit.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.