Stock question

turtle135

I have a bergara hmr sa that I'm looking to swap out of its 4+pound stock. What carbon fiber stocks would work? It's got the m5 type mag system. Tia

Manners make great stocks, but be prepared for a 6-9 month wait, unless you can find what you need in stock somewhere, which is possible. I personally love my EH-1's. Mcmillan make stocks with lightweight fill, but again, a pretty long wait, similar to manners. Can't go wrong with either if you have the patience.

AG composites make great stocks I have heard, and have a much shorter wait time. They may be your best option!

Wildcat composites make some light stocks, they are from Canada, I talked with the owner a bit, seems like a good guy, if you want to save some money, and do some of the finishing yourself, you can get a heck of a deal through them on light stocks.

Stocky's carbon stocks may also be an option, they ship from what they have in stock usually, though you may have to inlet for your bottom metal, I know some of their stocks are offered with M5 bottom metal, not sure of their carbon stocks are. I personally haven't handled a carbon fiber stockys, but I have one of their heavy composites. A buddy of mine has one of their carbons, it had an inletting issue, but they refunded him a large amount, and I think he just finished the inletting himself? At any rate, he seemed pleased with the outcome.

I think there are a couple more options, but for some reason they aren't coming to mind.....

One more option for a light weight long range stock that is a little different.....

XLR makes a magnesium chassis, and can be set up to be as light as 28 oz, lighter or as light as many carbon stocks, but in a chassis. Make it a folder for 4 oz more, would make a slick back country back pack rig.

Hope this helps!

I have a bergara hmr sa that I'm looking to swap out of its 4+pound stock. What carbon fiber stocks would work? It's got the m5 type mag system. Tia

From Bergara:

"Fits Bergara B14 and Remington 700 Footprint Barreled Actions. Stock for short action rifles. Length of pull adjustable from 14.5" to 13" Note: Does not come with magazine. AICS style short action magazines fit. Weight: 3.9lbs"

Find a Remington 700 Short Action stock and decide what you want it to look and feel like. ;)

I ordered a carbon fiber stock from McMillan for a build I am working on, it took 6mo to get it. My brother just got an AG carbon fiber for a surgeon barreled action he bought, it took 48 days to get it. Both stocks are perfect, he just got his quicker.

Ag can be hit or miss. I've had some take 6 weeks, one took 4 months. The xlr magnesium chassis is an excellent option, I have two. Jcs composites can be quick, or they can be slow.

I have an AG composites VG2 built by/for stocky's and I really like it. Stocky's has switched it's carbon fiber manufacturing to in-house however, and they don't seem to be actually producing much in the last few months (at least according to their website). I've been waiting for an M50 CF with the M5 cut for a while now, but I may wind up getting a Manners MCS-TA with the chassis instead. It's only a few hundred more once you figure in bottom metal.

I did just get an email from Grayboe that they are now making a 32oz adjustable stock with and m5-ish grip called the "Pheonix." It has me interested. Grayboes are usually really heavy, but they do seem to perform. $600. Might be worth a look.

My Bergara was NOT a drop in a HS Precision stock for a Remington SA.

There are always exceptions and HS can be an exception all by themselves sometimes. I've had problems with them using the actions they specify!

What about the fit was your exception? Explain in detail and post a picture if possible, that always helps so we can understand completely.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts