McMillan or HS Precision

jon12

When picking out components to build an accurately long range moderate weight sporter rifle on a rem 700 action with cost in mind, which is a better stock? A custom Mcmillan sporter stock from them is 393, and a custom HS from them is 295 and just about any one you want from midway usa for 259. The HS seems like a very solid stock, but is the McMillan worth the extra 150 bucks?? What are the pros and cons of the aluminum bedding block in the HS?

Thanks.

Accurate Long Range, Moderate Sporter rifle.... = "McMillan HTG" .. any questions...

Brian, i looked at brunoshooters, and yes, their prices are REALLY cheap compared to anything else ive seen, $264 for a Mcmillan remington classic or varmint, but, it doesnt give any details(what color/finish it comes in, whether it is complete with pad and swivels, if its a full inlet or complete custom drop in or what).

Jon, I've got HS stocks on most of my rifles, including a HS Sporter stock on my 700S/S 7mm08, it has no bedding(Devcon, Marine Tex) done to it, and from a cold barrel, it'll put shot after shot pretty much in the same hole, a McMillan stock won't do any better, when you get a Mac stock, they suggest to get it pillarbedded for max accuracy, and there's another 120 bucks, another good thing about HS stocks is that you can switch them from one remington to the next, torque the guard screws up, and they're ready to shoot. And even if you want to get the HS "skim bedded", this has been proven by some to get rid of fliers at longrange, then you'll really have a awesome stock that a Mcmillan can't touch as far as strength.
wink.gif
Jay

For $ sake either get the HS or post a WTB bedded mcmillan A1/HTG - same stock. I agree with wyo of the HTG, but if cost is concerned there is nothing the HS cant do for less $$. also you will most likely have the bed the block as jay said. this is very easy to do yourself and save some money. Pillar bedding a mcmillan is a little tougher task but also doable with the right instruction.

BTW--brunos stocks are most likely not inletted and no pad if they dont say they do--they get a bunch of generic stuff that way they have it on hand to suit lots of people.

JB

[ 03-03-2004: Message edited by: jb1000br ]

Jon, I have McMillian reminton hunter stocks on my rifles, one is a 7mm stw on a trued up 700 action and the other is a 338 lapua with a PGW custom action. I think McMillian stocks are great. I'm not going to comment on the HS stocks because I've never had one. But, I will say that the MCM stock is worth EVERY penny!

Good Shootin'

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts