HS Precision Rifles

jon12

Does anyone have one of these? It seems like a pretty solid rig, and when you think about it, not a bad deal. To build the same rifle on a model 700 action, by the time you buy a rifle or an action to start with, match cut rifled fluted barrel, convert to 3 position safety and detachable mag(features on HS's pro series action), teflon coat, get a good trigger, and a solid fiberglass stock, plus all the labor on the rifle, you would be well over the 2 grand for the hs precision rifle, and you would not have the 1/2 inch gaurentee or final targets with load data, features that ive only seen on very expensive full custom jobs like jarrett.
What do yall think? Anyone have any experience with one, or can provide any comment?
Thanks.

Jon I have a Heavy Tactical Rifle in .308win that I have now had more a few months. I was just told that the scope rings and base will be shipping tomorrow, so I will finally get to shoot it!

Scope is a NF 8-32x56 Baer custom steel rings & 1 peice base.

A Shilen competition trigger is also on the way, something I thought I would like to add since the factory trigger shouldn't be adjusted to less than 1.5lb and I wanted just a little less weight on it.

Overall impressions are of a heavy, rugged rifle, the finish is great.
Well balanced and the stock is comfortable and can be adjusted in length and the cheekpiece.

It came with a test target(I assume fired from a machine rest) showing a .187MOA group!!! At first I thought there had to me a mistake...

I'll only be too happy to post a report on the actual perfomance!

Thanks for the reply, im glad to hear aftermarket triggers will work in thier actions even though i think thier factory trigger would be light enough for me(do they use the same triggers as remington 700, and will any rem 700 trigger fit thier action?). Also, do do scope mounts that fit rem 700 fit thier receiver or do they need special scope mounts? I noticed on thier website they off thier own mounts but dang, theyre like 250 buck for rings and bases.

Any other comments on thier rifles?

Thanks.

Jon,
I have been shooting an H-S Precision Pro Hunter 300 win mag for 6 years now.

I can get under half inch groups at 100 yards with several different bullets/loads.
Nosler 165 partitions, ballistic tips and 168gr Barnes triple shocks to name a few.
It shoots 200gr and 180's under an inch as well. Would probably do better with a little load development, but thats good enough for elk hunting so haven't bothered.

Very weather resistant. Had mine in the rain many times with no ill effects, just wipe it off in the field and clean when I get back.

The trigger is excellent, breaks like glass at the 2lbs I requested.

Regular bases work for scope mounting but they use a size bigger screw to make it stronger, I think it is a #8 screw.

Excellent rifle and I like your reasoning. Why go to all the hassle of putting one together than may or may not shoot when you can buy one with a guarantee, at a reasonable price.

I have dealt with their customer service a couple times and they were great to work with, quick and with helpful attitudes.

I have a .223 15"bbl pistol, 308 HTR, 300 Win Mag HTR, & my 338 Lapua HTR shipped Friday. Rifles are very user friendly. Excellent fit and finish. I don't have any complaints what so ever. They are even more accurate than the test target suggests. You get chrono readings of the three rounds. Bullet type, OAL, powder type and weight. I used Badger Ordnance 20 MOA bases so that I can move my Nightforce to whatever rifle I am shooting. Once you write down your sight settings they go right back to zero. At the range use a couple rounds to double check and put some heat in the bbl. The only quirk is that the 300 Win MAg puts the first round 3 MOA low @6 o'clock, since I know about it, it's no big deal for me. Hope this helps

Friends,
I have userd several HS Rifles over the years, including their takedown models - owned them in .223 up to .338 Lapua, and all have been excellent. Guaranteed sub MOA performance, excellent fit and finish, durable, and are one of the great bargains in the high-end (semi-custom??) rifle market IMHO.

Scott in Bogota

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.