HS Precision

Tommy,
I have been shooting an HS Pro-2000 Varminter in .308 Win. caliber for two years. The rifle has 4970 rounds through it so far. Accuracy has been very good, many loads have exceeded the 0.5" standard with five shots rather than the three-shot groups that the factory uses.

I have had two problems with the action, both occured relatively early in the use of the rifle.
First, a burr formed inside the trigger housing causing the trigger to quit working - the burr had to be stoned away by a gunsmith and it has not re-occured despite a lot of shooting. This is not a problem with current production as the trigger unit has been changed to prevent the occurence.
Second, there was a problem with minute brass shavings from the rim of the cartridge case jamming the movement of the ejector plunger. Result was that the brass would not eject, just sat in the action. This was fixed by putting a slight bevel on the plunger. Originally it was too square on the end. Was somewhat easy to get tiny shavings wedged between it and the hole in the face of the bolt that it operated in. Understand that this is also changed on the current production.
The first problem was serious and resulted in the loss of trigger function and HS admitted that they needed to correct that design, and did. The second was easy to correct by pushing the plunger a few times so that the shavings fell clear and the bevel seems to have stopped the jamming.
Some other observations:
..I find the magazines somewhat difficult to load since they are single-stackers, but they are reliable and stay in place, feed reliably.
..The rifle's bedding has never been touched - it was very well done at the factory as sub one-half minute accuracy has been consistent if I can hold the rifle well enough.
..The barrel is easy to maintain, does not hold any copper.
..The finish is great, moisture is not a concern since virtually the entire rifle is teflon coated.
..The safety works great and I understand that it has been "improved" although I have never had any problems with function.
..My particular rifle shoots well with a wide variety of loads, factory and handloads - it seems to shoot particularly well with moly coated bullets - likes Black Hills Ammo 175 gr. Molies.
..Just under 5000 rounds and the barrel is still shooting well, have not looked at it with a bore scope but it seems to be fine.
..Everyone who sees or shoots the rifle likes it.

I haven't tried any of their rifles, but have tried their stocks.

HS Precision is an awful company with the worst customer service!!!!
I had some dealings with them that went a wry in the past, I posted about them.

They gave me and a friend the exact same run around about delivery dates with the same cock and bull story about calling back on numerous occasions (I think it was a lady named Janet).

The Prairie Grass camo looks nothing like it does in the catalog, gaudy and classless at best.

I would bring my business elsewhere to where it is appreciated. There are quite a few other stock companies out there.

Worst part of the whole thing was the stock turned a tack driving Sako into 1.5 minute gun.

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: Bill ]

My experience with their stocks is similar to Bill's. The only stock I've ever bought from them made a good gun shoot quite a bit worse. I didn't deal with them about it, however. I simply sold the whole rig to a friend of mine who only hunts every two or three years and doesn't require the same level of accuracy as I do.

In my experience simply buying a composite stock will not ensure better accuracy. We might expect spending 2 or 3 hundred bucks would make old Bestsy shoot better - it don't work that way.

All new composite stocks should be bedded properly. Pillars, Marine Tex, no contact of any stock bolts or the bolt handle with the stock - that stuff is what makes a rifle shoot, not just switching from wood to composite.

Real good bedding, as done by GA Precision and others, involves a lot of skill and experience. There are too many tolerances and variables involved to expect perfect fit when you drop a barreled action into a new McMillan, HS, Hogue or whatever.

For every rifle that shoots worse there might be one that shoots better - I doubt it, tho.
There is no way that the CNC'd almuminum bedding inserts in HS stocks will fit every Remington M-700 action. Rem actions aren't straight so how could they fit uniformly into the HS stock? I was told by folks at H.S. that the U.S. Army beds over the aluminum blocks in H.S. stocks - simply because the cylindrical 700 actions were so irregular.

Just wanted to dump two more cents.

I recently bought an H-S stock for a Model 700. It bolted in effortlessly. Fit perfectly. No problems. It feels much nicer than the factory synthetic stock.

I had it bedded by a gunsmith later. My understanding is that any time you have a M700 with an HS stock, you should have it bedded because the cylindrical action is not held securely against the flat bedding block...the action can "roll" in the stock so that the trigger and action bind against the stock. If you want improved accuracy from the HS stock, have it carefully bedded and the screws tightened properly.

The stock and bedding job helped cut average group sizes from about 1.5" to about 1", with some groups approaching 1/2". Before installing and bedding the stock, this rifle never shot particularly well.

I have a H+S Precision HTR-308- I,m very happy with it,very well built and deadly accurate.

*Customer service with H+S has been OUTSTANDING-always very helpful and friendly

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: bones ]

I have bought two HS Precision stocks and I have not had any trouble at all. I am very pleased with the quality and accuracy that I have gotten. I have never had the need to contact customer service though, so I can't really comment on that. FYI neither were cammo. I cant remember the model number off the top of my head, but they are the stock that Rem is putting on the Rem 700 PSS.

I've owned several rifles stocked with HS Precision stocks and all were sub 5/8" rifles with no extra bedding work. I imagine that hundreds of thousands of 700VS and 700PSS owners would be amused at the statement that they aren't good right out of the box with no work needed.

Of course.... If you are a benchrest competitor you will bed ANY stock but for out of the box accuracy it's pretty hard to fault HS Precision's reputation with Remington production rifles.

I have a HTR and I am very happy with it. It shoots even better than the test target. I've gotten 5 shot groups under 3/10ths of an inch. I usually talk to Janet at HS and she's always been very helpful and friendly. I've never had any customer service problems with HS.

HS customer service. I called two yrs ago for some info on a custom barrel. The 'lady' in customer service was very rude. "We don't have the time to do such and such" Lotta attitude.

I don't enjoy dumping, but HS has never and will never get another call from me.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>
I've owned several rifles stocked with HS Precision stocks and all were sub 5/8" rifles with no extra bedding work. I imagine that hundreds of thousands of 700VS and 700PSS owners would be amused at the statement that they aren't good right out of the box with no work needed.

Of course.... If you are a benchrest competitor you will bed ANY stock but for out of the box accuracy it's pretty hard to fault HS Precision's reputation with Remington production rifles.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, most Remington 700 VS/VSSSFs w/ the HS Precision stocks shoot pretty well out of the box. But most folks think that just because the stock has an aluminum bedding block, that their days of having to have the action bedded for optimum accuracy are over. I was one of those, until recently.

A buddy of mine picked up an HS Precision PSS stock to put on a .17 Rem. that he had. Some of the local gun cranks at the gun shop (one of which is a **very** good Hunter Benchrest shooter, as I understand it) talked him into having it 'skim' bedded, to fill any voids and ensure 100% contact. It cost about half of what a normal bedding job did, so my friend went along w/ the idea. From what I hear, his group sizes just about *halved*.

After a while, they got to me, too. I had a Remington 700VS in .223 w/ a 20" barrel that had never been a real tack driver, but it would shoot about 3/4" all day, and if a bigger scope was mounted and it was fed tuned handloads, it'd shoot a little over 1/2" (0.5-0.6"). As far as I was concerned, it was a 3/4" gun. Period. Not great, but minute of prairie dog out to 250-300 or so.

After the bed job, the gun now *averages* about 1/2", and will get considerably less than that if the wind is down and I have my head screwed on straight. I was impressed enough to have my new 700VS in .308 skim bedded also. From what the 'smith told me, both of them were way off to one side on the rear tang; not even close to where they should have been. The .308 so far has a best group of 1-1/4"@300yds. I'll keep it around for a while, at that rate
wink.gif

To make a long story short, no, you don't *have* to have the bedding block glass bedded. But I think you are shorting yourself if you don't.

YMMV,

Monte

I purchased a XP-100 stock from them many years ago, it took 8 months to get with the help of a attorney.

There are a lot of good gunsmiths that will build a custom gun that will outshoot the HS models and for less money and with less problems. Truthfully, you can take a heavy barrel Win Laredo and Rem 700 Sendaro, do $300 worth of action work and bedding and save your self $2000. Take the money saved and buy good reloading equipment and a scope and be better off in the long run. The guns will still outshoot 98% of the shooters behind them.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.