McMillan Coues Deer Special

Here is the chart I use while hunting. This load is RL 25 76.1 with a 150 SMK using Lapua 300 brass (Norma made it for Lapua) and a 215M. Had if memory serves me good results with 7828 and RL 22 but the 25 gave the best accuracy with .35, 5 shot groups with a 10fps high to low spread for 10 shots. The intent was and still is to make this into a 1K BR rifle and this was the test gun for it (going to tighten up the neck just a bit). Speedy designed it years ago and had the reamer in his personal drawer and we talked about it and he made a rifle and dies for me.

Only used the 150 SMk because that is what I was going to shoot but there is a lot more potential for this round. The velocity with this bullet with the RL 22 and the 7828 was higher – for those who want to tweek and develop it 3400 is very possible. I got almost 3400 out of one of those powders. The pic below is the rifle and a loaded round.

Someone asked me and I will use "Muley" as the designation for custom serial numbers.

I am starting a new thread entitled "Muley Special" so I can get some feed back so look for it.

Someone please advise me as to where I should start the Muley Special thread.

Have you tried H1000, Retumbo, or Ramshot Magnum?

I did try Retumbo but will have to find my data----If I remember it was accurate but the velocity spreads were higher.

When we do the Heavy Varmint rifle I will do a lot more testing. The tube will be a few inches longer and with the heavier bullets that are out now!

Bob Beck just sent me a target he shot today using Coues 02. This is rifle I used in the original photos I posted of the rifle. It is made using our Hunters Edge stock. He did say that it was 32 degrees today in Oregon, and he might have been able to shoot a decent group if he hadn't been shaking so much.........so this is why he is so good at what he does, what does he do on a weekend where football playoffs are in full swing and it's 32 degrees and raining, he tweaks loads and shoots.

Darn it, I can't post it from my IPad and I am at the SHOT show until next week, maybe I can get him to paste it. It measured about .200 is my guess from seeing the target. 140 Berger VLD'S. He tweaked the load we originally used and changed from CCI primers to 215's and make all the difference in the world.

The Tactical Hunter stock looks great.

Is the comb height more comparable to the A1-3 or the HTG?

Any chance we could see some pics of the Adjustable Tactical Hunter, I've never seen them on your site?

I will post some pics of the Adjustable TH when I get back from the show. I have decided to offer the Adjustable version on out EOL LRH-light since the comb seems to be a little low for the NightForce sets up we are using. The stock has an M40A1 rear and a modified A-3/A-5 forfend sort of. The forfend is actually unique to this stock.

Just so you guys will know, we have a much much better adjustable mechanism now. We have actually designed what amounts to a pinch block with one screw. It absolutely will not loosed and collapse as the old would do from time to time. One screw as well. Better than the thumb wheel adjustable because when it comes time to remove the bolt or clean the rifle it is much easier to drop the cheek piece down.

Finally got a chance to take a breath between SHOT and SCI. I leave Monday back to Vegas for another week and the SCI. I have attached two photos, one that show a 3 shot group fired from Coues 02 by Bob Beck. He tweak the original load that was used on the original photos I posted and shot by someone else. I guess this is a testiment to his ability to shoot, and get the most out of a load. He told me he didn't shoot a 5 round group because the rifle was so dialed in it wouldn't have made the hole any larger, with this group you can see three distinct bullet holes.

The next target is a 5 shot group from a 338 Lapua in a McMillan EOL Long Range Hunter (LRH).

Attachments

• 3shot6.5x284.jpg
    3shot6.5x284.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 70
I have tried twice to post the 338 lapua group and for some reason it won't show up. I hate to keep trying and all of a sudden have 6 post of the same thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.