McMillan Coues Deer Special

Built exactly the same way using the components and techniques. It's a McMillan, what can I say. The only difference is it has a custom serial number and is a limited edition. One of six.

That doesn't mean we won't build other rifles in 6.5x284 but none will be part of this limited edition.

Morning Kelly,

Why the 2pc rings & bases (i understand Talley is 1pc), not having used that setup before I'm intrigues as I do see it from time to time. Although I must say it isn't super popular. As I'm sure you're aware, most LRH rigs run a picatinny rail & god knows what, for rings. I can see a (very) small weight advantage for sure, but is it enough? I'm sure they would still have to be lapped...:rolleyes: Just curious as all & figures you of all people could provide a usefull answer:D

Boss, you are dead on with your answer so I won't repeat. My last build (6-284) wears an McMillan A-5. After my 'smith did the 3d computer generated CAD layout (for lack of a better term) of my barreled action, did the CNC milling of the stock to EXACTLY match my rig; plus the cost of the stock, Pillars, bedding & paint I was north of 1k just for the stock. The amount of quality produced by a highly skilled smith & the 6digits of equipment is WAY above that of my first few builds. Not to knock my first 'smith, he know what he was doing, his rifles shoot just fine & cost is about half of what i'm paying now. But fit, finish & overall quality my friend are night & day...

Long range hunters are familiar with and more comfortable with a P rail than the standard hunter. We include the Talley bases because we have 8-40 scope base holes instead of the more normal 6-28's. We do this on our tactical rifles which more commonly use heavier scopes and tend to have more of an issue sheering scope base screws off. In order not to have to make two seperate action we use the same G30 for both hunting and tactical, this the 8-40's. Just so it's not a pain for the customer to find bases to fit, we provide them, Talley being as good as you get. As for lapping rings, with NightForce scopes and Talley rings we don't feel it necessary to lap the rings. Also, you can take the scopes of with their lever locks and put them back on as many times as you would like and never change poi. At least not at a hundred yards which is how tested them for my trip to Africa.

One more thing about lapping scope rings. The rifle I sent LTLR has not had the scope rings lapped. Lets see if his report picks anything up regarding this issue. Of course it has a 20MOA Picatiny rail made of 6061T6 aluminum, hard black anodized and a steel pin behind what should be the front ring lug, NF rings and a NF scope.

Thanks for the info.

I didn't know Talleys are 8-40's which is a definite plus. I hadn't thought about the "genre" difference between LRH & standard hunting, but it does make sense. Although I do know NightForce offers bases w/8-40 holes & i'm pretty sure Badger does too...

That's neither here nor there I guess, simple curiosity got the better of me...

Of course not all the Talley bases are 8-40's and I am not sure whether they made specifically for us or not, but they have made bases specifically to fit our receivers, we like the quality and service so that was our reasoning.

One issue we have to deal with has to do with ejecting a case. With the NightForce scopes with large tactical turrets, as with other scopes with large turrets shooters sometimes have trouble with the case hitting the bottom of the turret and falling back into the receiver. Because our bolts have "sako type" extractors we had to place the plunger ejector in a little different location than a Remington which throws the case a little higher. When a hunter is holding the rifle in his hands and cycles the bolt, they have a tendency to lean the rifle over to the left so they can see in the port. When they do this, the problem becomes even more prominent. A long range shooter/hunter shooting prone rarely has the problem because the case hits the turret and falls straight down. Even so we get complaints that the gun is not ejecting properly when in fact it is hitting the turret so fast that they don't realize it's happening. They just assume that it was a weak ejection.

So this was a long winded way of saying, yes, regular hunter have different points of view than do long range hunters so we need to market to each type separately.

Federal 215 primers, Norma brass. Out of consideration to the guy who actually developed the load I won't give out the powder.

As for cost of building a rifle:
You left out metal finishing. Robar's retail is $350 for Roguard and NP3 the bolt and internals. Muzzle break 210.00, gun case to ship it in, Vanguard roller case $150, 10-20 rounds of ammo to test $30-$40 and we include Talley bases $24.95

Now we are up to $3110 using your figures. I will tell you I pay considerably more to have the floorplate made in lots of 100 than you have listed. The one on the rifle we are building here is a one piece aluminum floorplate that comes hard anodized. You also need to include follower spring and mag box.

Can anyone think of anything else?

Ok thanks. As to pricing. That part of my post was not directed towards you or any one person. There was a post about getting 2 rifles for your price, so it was more of a brief explanation to him on what costs may be for MAIN components as I wrote. I did leave out a lot but that was on purpose and again, why I wrote "main" components.

Derek---you will not get a rifle from my builder for that. There are other things that cannot be priced using your formula such as overhead (some have well over 6 figures just in equipment) and of course the skill of the builder. Many of the things you are paying for are not able to be seen without the disassembly of the rifle and even then without the proper tools, equipment and expertise to measure key components you are not able to judge his or her skill. Many times even a mediocre rifle build will shoot acceptable to most people---an accurate and aesthetically pleasing product is built step by step using exact processes and they are not for everybody.

I have quotes from Speedy so I know what he charges for what we've discussed on a hunting rig and I'm in the ball park. Keep in mind, I wrote a brief post on MAIN components. I've not had near as many rifles built as you but I've had plenty made so I do have some knowledge on various prices.

My post wasn't meant to represent a formula so I will apologize if it came across as such.

But as stated, you can have as much as 2000-3000 in components alone, then you have to pay someone to build it. And that is one of the biggest variables in price as we are all aware.

The 160+ price on metal is what I have paid in the past on bottom metal Remmy stuff for hunting rifles.

Mr. McMillan, it's no secret your company builds some of the finest rifles available. My favorite rifles have McMillan stocks.

Let us know when you plan on a limited Mule Deer series in 7WSM or some other 7mm variant. But you'll have to offer ONE in left hand in the series so I can buy it. :D

That sounds like a great limited edition series, when I get close I'll let you know so we can get a lefty going.

That sounds like a great limited edition series, when I get close I'll let you know so we can get a lefty going.

Good because I'm dead serious. I have belted 7s and would like to try a non-belted magnum. OR you could make something more interesting like the 7mm-300 which I have seen referred to as both the Mashburn and Practical.

If we're talking a limited series then I'm guessing wildcats aren't out of the picture.

Derek---maybe they can do one of these. Of all of my chamberings this is the go to. The Warp 7 based on a 300 Win.

Hell I will buy one myself if they make it all stainless!

All of our rifles are all stainless except for the bolt and internals and they are finished in NP3.

I will give this round some thought. Can you send me some data on the performance you have gotten with it?

Derek---maybe they can do one of these. Of all of my chamberings this is the go to. The Warp 7 based on a 300 Win.

Hell I will buy one myself if they make it all stainless!

I remember you posting something like this awhile back. I'm interested. All stainless as well. I do not know if McMillan makes their own barrels. Guess I could research it. I'd want a Krieger bbl if not. Or Hart.

I'm intrigued with the 7mm-300 and really for unknown reasons. Most likely because it is not common among the vast majority of hunters and I like to be different. This kind of thing really shines in my humble opinion for a builder to offer a limited series of rifles. ESPECIALLY if I'm the guy with the left handed version.

Interestingly enough, I happen to have an extra 5500 Gs burning a hole in my pocket right now and I was going to use it on a hunt but that can wait if a rifle such as this is potentially on the table.

Honestly though, I'd be content with a non-belted short mag. There's not a muley (mulie...sp?) on earth that can live through a slug fired from a 7WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.