McMillan Coues Deer Special

Not saying they are not worth it, just way out of my price range, I thought Surgeons were high at $4600

Wish someone could do a rifle for us blue collar guys, till then just have to stick with my Stevens/Savage builds, lol

Very nice rifle

Not saying they are not worth it, just way out of my price range, I thought Surgeons were high at $4600

Wish someone could do a rifle for us blue collar guys, till then just have to stick with my Stevens/Savage builds, lol

Very nice rifle

I'm with ya. I think the Savage/Stevens line is the best blue collar build gun there is!

oh that explains it :)

I can see your initial sticker shock for sure... then I started thinking about the two full customs I have had built on Rem 700 actions (a 3rd in construction now on a Stiller). Both (with optics) are running high 6k if not right at 7k ready to hunt & that is on a Rem action.

So I guess the McMillan isn't as bad as I thought! :D Throw on a MK4 or a Nightforce & you're right in there with where I am on an inferior action... just food for thought...gun)--------------------------------->

Thanks Outlaw, I had started two different posts to basically say the same thing you just said, but I felt discretion was the better .............. Well you know what I mean. I just want to make one comment. If we could sell our rifles for less and stay in business, we would. We do realize that unfortunately our pricing eliminates some potential customers.

Welcome, at first I was one of those guys too. You see that price tag and "holy, good god!" is the first thing to come out, the only good thing is can say about building one yourself is being able to pay as you go... one piece here, one piece there. Which makes it WAY more viable for the "working man":D

My 'smith has my action now, barrel just arrived at my house, stock is on order (good lord Manners takes forever) lol One piece at a time, then after nearly a year you have one bad mama without dropping several large at one time, which helps.

P.S. Kelly- Has there been any feedback from LTLR on the demo you sent out?

I have been watching closely for a post, but nothing yet. I did get an email from him with some very flattering verbage. I know he and family have been killing stuff with it but haven't heard much yet. I guess we'll all get the skinny at the same time.

I have been watching closely for a post, but nothing yet. I did get an email from him with some very flattering verbage. I know he and family have been killing stuff with it but haven't heard much yet. I guess we'll all get the skinny at the same time.

:DGood answer! No sense in letting the cat out of the bag...yet. lol I'm looking forward to Don's report, you couldn't have picked a better evaluator.

I probably shouldnt have said anything about their price as they can charge whatever they want. Not to mention Mcmillan builds some amazing rifles, I just wish I could afford one. I would love to have their tac 300 or 338 I just will NEVER be able to afford it. Prices are insane

May I ask what the exact load mentioned previously has in it?

Lapua or Norma brass?

What powder and charge? H4831SC or H4350?

Primers?

As to pricing, most rifle builders these days are charging from 4K to "sky is the limit" prices from what I've seen.

Ultimately, a fluted Lilja will run, what, around $400-450, an action will be $900 to 1500, a Jewel trigger is roughly 225 to 250, and a stock about 400-600. Bases/rings from 50 to 200 maybe, then there's your optics, bottom metal or magazine, spring...

My best guess is the main components of many custom rifles:

bbl: 350 for preturned blank
action: 1100
stock: 500
trigger: 225
floor plate, follower: from 160+

...then you pay some one to build it. But components alone can easily run 2300 depending on what you get and who you get it from. Naturally those prices are roughly retail. Builders get discounts due to volume, and then if they make their own actions, it's possibly less.

Federal 215 primers, Norma brass. Out of consideration to the guy who actually developed the load I won't give out the powder.

As for cost of building a rifle:
You left out metal finishing. Robar's retail is $350 for Roguard and NP3 the bolt and internals. Muzzle break 210.00, gun case to ship it in, Vanguard roller case $150, 10-20 rounds of ammo to test $30-$40 and we include Talley bases $24.95

Now we are up to $3110 using your figures. I will tell you I pay considerably more to have the floorplate made in lots of 100 than you have listed. The one on the rifle we are building here is a one piece aluminum floorplate that comes hard anodized. You also need to include follower spring and mag box.

Can anyone think of anything else?

May I ask what the exact load mentioned previously has in it?

Lapua or Norma brass?

What powder and charge? H4831SC or H4350?

Primers?

As to pricing, most rifle builders these days are charging from 4K to "sky is the limit" prices from what I've seen.

Ultimately, a fluted Lilja will run, what, around $400-450, an action will be $900 to 1500, a Jewel trigger is roughly 225 to 250, and a stock about 400-600. Bases/rings from 50 to 200 maybe, then there's your optics, bottom metal or magazine, spring...

My best guess is the main components of many custom rifles:

bbl: 350 for preturned blank
action: 1100
stock: 500
trigger: 225
floor plate, follower: from 160+

...then you pay some one to build it. But components alone can easily run 2300 depending on what you get and who you get it from. Naturally those prices are roughly retail. Builders get discounts due to volume, and then if they make their own actions, it's possibly less.

Derek---you will not get a rifle from my builder for that. There are other things that cannot be priced using your formula such as overhead (some have well over 6 figures just in equipment) and of course the skill of the builder. Many of the things you are paying for are not able to be seen without the disassembly of the rifle and even then without the proper tools, equipment and expertise to measure key components you are not able to judge his or her skill. Many times even a mediocre rifle build will shoot acceptable to most people---an accurate and aesthetically pleasing product is built step by step using exact processes and they are not for everybody.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.