Coues Deer Brief Fight

I do alot of glassing on a boat. We have found the 14X fujinons (sp) to be fantastic for this. The big stabilized Euros are a little to pricey for my boss to bear(yet the 15k he spent on custom rods this winter isn't so IDK) The 12x are not in the same class glass wise. I believe the nikon's older ones were just rebranded Fuji's but the new ones seem to have better optics. You may want to pop in a camera shop to try them out. For what your doing it might be an improvement. I cannot use anything above 8x and that will make your head spin in just normal conditions unstabilized.

I do alot of glassing on a boat. We have found the 14X fujinons (sp) to be fantastic for this. The big stabilized Euros are a little to pricey for my boss to bear(yet the 15k he spent on custom rods this winter isn't so IDK) The 12x are not in the same class glass wise. I believe the nikon's older ones were just rebranded Fuji's but the new ones seem to have better optics. You may want to pop in a camera shop to try them out. For what your doing it might be an improvement. I cannot use anything above 8x and that will make your head spin in just normal conditions unstabilized.
Your comparing apples and oranges Cap. For a boat,
the stabilized glasses are almost a must, at least for offshore use. But, the same rules don't apply for L/R hunting glasses. The term (bigeyes), is in and of itself meaningless as it applies to large optics.
For example, if a 15x56 Whatever, qualifies as a big eye, then what would a 20x120, or even larger set of glasses qualify as? As for the claim here that spotting scopes are only for counting points, or otherwise scrutinizing the animal, then why not use them for finding the animal to begin with? And frankly many of us do, but not as a single spotting scope.
Mind you im not knocking the 15x56 Whatevers.
I happen to own a set of 15x58s, which I consider to be very good car seat glasses to use if I happen to pull in someplace for a quick look, or on rainy days. I can rest them on the partially lowered window for a steady look, or use my window mount.
There is no doubt many of those Couse deer are being passed over while glassing for the lack of power. But then 15x eyepieces in those scopes are an option also. Having those choices, can be a great thing to have.
By the way Cap, I recently sold my 7x50 Steiner Commanders for less than $400 on Ebay.
I now keep a small older Bushnell spotting scope on my boat with a 10x30 zoom eyepiece. I use a Bogen single leg tripod/walking stick to support it.
Could the boss still afford $50/75 bucks? lol

His needs are different from my wants lol Since it's his dimes he gets to choose. I just find them very easy for picking apart areas very quickly compared to non stabilized. Catch something while doing a grid search and you can get right back too it. Comparing the optics them self on a tripod wouldn't compare for sure.

Went bow hunting this Jan for Couse and mulies with an OTC tag for the first time. Saw quite a few does and one forkie. Bad thing was the wind was blowing 25 plus on the Saturday, very warm on Sunday, and blowing 20 plus on Monday from the opposite direction. The majority of Couse we saw were during the evening, the forkie surprised us and was traveling below us about 20 yards on the last day my son and I were hunting. They definitely blend well. All the little creeks and drainages provide a lot of cover for them to travel the open spaces. much more of challenging hunt vs other white tails.

Went bow hunting this Jan for Couse and mulies with an OTC tag for the first time. Saw quite a few does and one forkie. Bad thing was the wind was blowing 25 plus on the Saturday, very warm on Sunday, and blowing 20 plus on Monday from the opposite direction. The majority of Couse we saw were during the evening, the forkie surprised us and was traveling below us about 20 yards on the last day my son and I were hunting. They definitely blend well. All the little creeks and drainages provide a lot of cover for them to travel the open spaces. much more of challenging hunt vs other white tails.

Sounds fun

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.