Master Bedroom Woodchucks!

I had a live in girlfriend quite some time ago.
She came out of the bedroom one morning and looked down the hallway. There I stood -
Stark naked leaning over the kitchen sink and out the window with a 22 trying to knock a crow out of a tree. What a laugh!!
Good times

Being buck-naked wouldn't slow me down any. ANY time you can shoot a crow is a good time to shoot one.

You are cruising for a bruising shooting out of momma's dining room. I know some people will scoff at the thought but chuck is pretty good table fare. Boil a little bit and fry in a iron skillet with butter. Ate lots of it as kids. It's actually a favorite but I don't tell just anyone my secret.

I've eaten a ton of them myself, John. I have only eaten the young of the year, though. Anything much bigger than a bunny rabbit is too big for me. If a chuck is old enough that it has had to do much digging, it will be as tough as a tire. The little ones, though, head-shot with the 22 ( like when you catch one in your vegetable garden mowing down your pea plants ) are tender & tasty. We used to nail them up by their back feet to a beam in the barn with roofing nails, and skin them. ( Don't forget to cut the glands out of their armpits, or they will taste NASTY.) Then we'd par-boil then for a couple of hours, and roast them in an old dutch oven. Lots of onions, a few potatoes & carrots, and whatever other veggies you have on hand, and you will wonder why you didn't try this dish a long time ago. I've had raccoon fixed the same way, and have heard that possum is really good done like this. Can't vouch for that, though. I would definitely try it if I had the opportunity.

I live in a semi-rural area in San Diego County. We have more than our share of the forty pound cockroaches, more commonly known as coyotes, that constantly try to to eat our dog. So far the coyotes are on the losing end of the equation but I worry that my ten year old pooch is not going to come back someday.
To the point. I have shot coyotes in many stages of undress whether or not everyone is awake. My wife has seen three coyotes teaming up on our pooch and has been very nice to me when I let one rip. I have used a 17 HMR but I don't like the lack of dead right there with the small bullet. They die but not where I can find them. My favorite is my 22-250. 70 grain Berger has been, much to my surprise, very efficient. I have to admit that the distances that I am shooting are not very long, between 10 yard and longest 168 yards.
Bottom line for me is I just don't like coyotes and shot them on sight. Front porch, bedroom porch and back porch. Doesn't matter.

I live in a semi-rural area in San Diego County. We have more than our share of the forty pound cockroaches, more commonly known as coyotes, that constantly try to to eat our dog. So far the coyotes are on the losing end of the equation but I worry that my ten year old pooch is not going to come back someday.
To the point. I have shot coyotes in many stages of undress whether or not everyone is awake. My wife has seen three coyotes teaming up on our pooch and has been very nice to me when I let one rip. I have used a 17 HMR but I don't like the lack of dead right there with the small bullet. They die but not where I can find them. My favorite is my 22-250. 70 grain Berger has been, much to my surprise, very efficient. I have to admit that the distances that I am shooting are not very long, between 10 yard and longest 168 yards.
Bottom line for me is I just don't like coyotes and shot them on sight. Front porch, bedroom porch and back porch. Doesn't matter.

I have also hunted coyotes in the San Diego area. I don't remember any 40-pounders, but it may be that my calling prowess was such that only the young & really stupid ones would come close enough for me to get a shot. I probably just never shot a mature animal in that area - all small ones, and they looked pretty lean & hungry.

I once rented a room from a woman who had a horse ranch in Ramona, and one night the 'yotes were raisin' holy hell with the horses in the corral out back. I had just gotten home from work ( I worked the 3 to 11 shift at a hospital ) and had only been in bed about an hour, when she woke me up and said that I just had to do something. Well, I wasn't in a real congenial mood at this point, so I did something, all right. That was when I found out how sketchy high-bred horses are about some yokel shooting a 308 out the bedroom window in the middle of the night. I don't know if it was the loud boom, or the four-foot muzzle flash, but there was something they didn't like about it for sure. If anything, the shooting upset them more than the coyotes did. I did, however, get two of the offending coyotes. The 308 really fixed their wagon.

I slept like a baby that night - after putting the corral back together and rounding up the animals. It took a while, crawling around in the manzanita with a flashlight. If I had that to do over again, I think maybe a rimfire of some sort would be a better choice. Your 17 HMR is probably perfect, except for the lack of knock-down power. I hope that you don't have one crawl over into some bunny-hugger's yard and then croak. They'll have the cops showing up at your door looking for the guy who "murdered" a helpless animal.

I'm getting a bit bored. It's a dreary day in central MD, so I'm getting creative. It's 185-200 yard chip-shot to the food plot from the MBR and there's a big fat chuck down there eating the deer fodder. A little overkill with the 6.5L and a 143 ELD-M but I don't care. If I don't get him tonight, I should have a crack at him in the AM. He's been coming out around 7:30AM. The report will double as an alarm clock. At least that's what I plan on telling her.View attachment 190288
Go for it!!!! If she loves you she'll understand!!!

4AC8D343-DC5D-4174-9518-A1BA05512124.jpeg
Glock 23 40 yards directly across from my house last fall. There's a ton of them around right now. It's time to break out the 22-250 and go to town

I just yell hold your ears or hand her ear muffs. She knows the drill. The range is hot 24-7. The double doors in the back opens up for a greater field of view

Glad to see I am not the only one shooting from home

Thanks

Buck
That's exactly how it is in our house Bucklowery. Sometimes it turns into an argument over who pulls the trigger, we all hunt and shoot lol!