getting ready for spring woodchucks

grizz1874

I have a new 22-250 savage bolt that i am working up loads for right now, but this one is almost ready to go. something a bit different. It is a .257 caliber air force condor. It has a 32 inch firearm barrel on it, shrouded. heavy hammer and spring, and modified valve. I have had it up over 1000fps with 85 grain cast, but i have it cut back to 990 with 65 grainers to save some air. when the weather stabilizes i will get out and get some shot count per fill info with it. i am suspecting about 6-10. i have shot it out the back door so far a few times and have gotten a few 1/2 moa 3 shot groups at 100yds using a makeshift rest. with my 75 yd zero and shooting at it's current setting, i can in theory, use my mildots with no turret adjustment out to about 260 yds. (assuming it holds it's accuracy at that range..remains to be seen) it still packs about 75ft lbs of energy at that range. Forgot to mention, it is also shrouded and quiet for the power it puts out

Attachments

• condor 257.jpg
    condor 257.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 194
It will get the job done. I have already taken several coyotes with it. Three over the 100yd mark, but not past 120yds yet... took me quite a while to put this together as funds have been limited. I can turn it up to over 1000fps with 90+ grain cast, but i would need to get a carbon fiber bottle with a higher fill capacity and run it at a 34-3500psi fill. right now i run it at 3100 on the stock bottle. 142ft lb at the muzzle is plenty with the 65s, and i can still turn it up and run it at 190ft lb without swapping springs or hammer weight. just a power wheel adjustment and switch to 85gr slugs

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.