Mark 5hd moa illuminated or not

werth338

Looking at picking up a Mark 5HD for dedicated hunting rifle with the MOA reticle. Trying to decide illuminated or not. This is for a Browning McMillian Hells Canyon Long Range one 300 Winchester. Have been shooting Zeiss V6 and great scope just want to try FFP and Mark 5 fits the bill. Haven't use illuminated rets previously so would like to know thoughts on if they are worth it or not.

I'm with Deviant, never turned mine on in the field either. I have made shots right up to the legal limits of hunting deer, both early morning and late evening, with no problem at all. I took the batteries out of all three my VX5 HD 3-15 CDS ZL2 illuminated reticle scopes, as well as the several other makes of illuminated reticle scopes I own. Don't want battery leakage to damage my scopes! Even hunting coyotes, if there is enough light to make one out, I can see my reticle plenty well enough to make the shot.

I'm with Deviant, never turned mine on in the field either. I have made shots right up to the legal limits of hunting deer, both early morning and late evening, with no problem at all. I took the batteries out of all three my VX5 HD 3-15 CDS ZL2 illuminated reticle scopes, as well as the several other makes of illuminated reticle scopes I own. Don't want battery leakage to damage my scopes! Even hunting coyotes, if there is enough light to make one out, I can see my reticle plenty well enough to make the shot.

Have you done this with a FFP scope at twilight?

I never use illumination...but have a few scopes that have it. I have illuminated reticle on my 375 and have used it when Leopard hunting...so it can be useful.

Ed

I have a MK5 w/o the illumination, great scope. I have a MK6 on my hunting rifle that has the illumination. Can't say that it ever helped me. I think the only time it would be of value in low light or fog where it would be quick to pull your eye to the dot. For longer ranges or across a draw, I cant see where the value would be.

I will say though that I do use the electronic level in my VX6 HD. That thing is pretty darn handy when taking a long range shot. Normally I install a level of some sort on all my rifles but with this scope I didnt have to.

Looking at picking up a Mark 5HD for dedicated hunting rifle with the MOA reticle. Trying to decide illuminated or not. This is for a Browning McMillian Hells Canyon Long Range one 300 Winchester. Have been shooting Zeiss V6 and great scope just want to try FFP and Mark 5 fits the bill. Haven't use illuminated rets previously so would like to know thoughts on if they are worth it or not.

Did you ever pick up a Mark 5? I'm looking at this same scope and since it's ffp, I'm considering an illuminated reticle for it thinking that the reticle May show up better at lower magnification.

Did you ever pick up a Mark 5? I'm looking at this same scope and since it's ffp, I'm considering an illuminated reticle for it thinking that the reticle May show up better at lower magnification.
One thing to pay attention to is checking the subtensions really close! I was in the same boat a month ago with the 3.6-18. I opted for the illumination because it was ffp and I planned on using it in dark timber and was worried that on low power I would not be able to see the reticle up close. What I didnt pay attention to was the subtension difference of the same reticle between the illuminated and non illuminated. The illuminated models on the mark 5 hd is twice at thick and shows up very easier even without illumination. The illuminated model line thickness is .3 whereas the non is .15 which is much more useable for long range precision....
Pick your poison. I love both my mark 5's

I have some illuminated VX6,s.Let,s think about this. If it is too dark to see the reticle in these new scopes it is too dark to see the animal. A money trap as far as I am concerned. The only use I can see is a black bear in dark timber or a cape buffalo in dusk conditions.

One thing to pay attention to is checking the subtensions really close! I was in the same boat a month ago with the 3.6-18. I opted for the illumination because it was ffp and I planned on using it in dark timber and was worried that on low power I would not be able to see the reticle up close. What I didnt pay attention to was the subtension difference of the same reticle between the illuminated and non illuminated. The illuminated models on the mark 5 hd is twice at thick and shows up very easier even without illumination. The illuminated model line thickness is .3 whereas the non is .15 which is much more useable for long range precision....
Pick your poison. I love both my mark 5's

Thanks, I never would have caught that. Have you looked at the NX8 4-32-50 at all? I'm really stuck between that and the 5-25 Mark 5.

Thanks, I never would have caught that. Have you looked at the NX8 4-32-50 at all? I'm really stuck between that and the 5-25 Mark 5.
I have not been able to use a nx8. I have had 6-8 nxs series and have been selling them off. The turrets on them dont even compare to the mark 5 in my opinion. Every nxs turret I've used seems mushy compared to the mark 5 or even some vortex! I keep toying with the idea of trying an ATACR but havent yet. I have the 5-25 non illuminated on my 338 edge and it is great. Even passed the durability test of falling out of the safe while on the 12 pound rifle right onto the concrete! I was furious and expected the worst but other than a small blemish in the paint it held zero and still grouped.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.