March scopes

SENDEROKID

Hi Guys

I'm new to this site and thought you may be able to help.
I was about to buy a new scope for my long range rifle,
a Swarovski 3-18X50mm Z6 when a friend of mine in the know
told me a number of these scopes had been returned for failing
in the field (not weatherproof) and these items are not cheap.
I've heard there is a company (DEON OPTICS ) in Japan that
make very good bench rest and hunting scopes, only problem
is that apart from the web page I can't find any reviews or user
recomendations about these optics.
I'm particularly interested in the 2.5-25x42mm unit as this would be
perfect for red deer in the bush and chamios and thar out to 700+yds.

Hope you can help.
Greg

Kelby's in Ohio is the sole importer of the March.

Go to Br central, search March scopes and more info than you care to read will come up.

Their big claim to fame is no "POI" shift, which is a killer for SR BR. That is their big design issue that makes them great in the SR BR arena.

Not designed from start as a LR hunting scope, but very top quality glass.

BH

I have not heard a lot about them but I have good things about them.

I would also recommend looking at Nightforce scopes. They have been around for a few years and have been climbing the charts as a top quality scope maker and extremely reliable.

Mike @ CSGW

This is one I have my eye on for sure. 2.5X will work great in the thick stuff and 25X with March ED glass would reach out there like few scopes (and no other small scopes) can...all in a package that's a full pound lighter than the Premier 15X. They will soon have a Mil/Mil version and are working on FFP sometime. The knobs look well executed, 100 clicks per turn elevation (25 MOA on the 1/4 MOA clicks version--I assume it'll be 10 Mils per turn when available), nice low profile, zero stop.... It'll certainly demand attention with capabilities like that.

This competition is great for all of us.

I've subscribed to this thread, so I can learn from any other member's experience, should they purchase and use one of these March scopes. First I've heard of them. They're pricey so they better be pretty darn good. I see they are notably lighter than many existing "tactical" grade scopes, which is pretty important to my available hunting opportunities, and methods.

Last year, I purchased a slightly used March 10-60x and I am delighted with it. Also have two NF's, and the March is a little better. I shoot long range 500 meter groundhog matches, so dunno about the POI shift, but I cannot detect problem at 200 yds and further. The 1/8" adjustments are very crisp and return to zero is right on. Clarity and focus is excellent when conditions are good. Be advised, Deon warranty to the original buyer is just five years; and it does not apply to the subsequent owner (I took a chance). I have heard of two March's being returned for minor problems.

Yeah, ED glass has more benefits than just the optical results. The lenses can be thinner and lighter which makes them easier to secure and fewer lens elements are required as less optical correction is needed. So the ED glass basically makes it easier to make a lighter, more durable scope in addition to giving such a nice view....

Be advised, Deon warranty to the original buyer is just five years; and it does not apply to the subsequent owner (I took a chance). I have heard of two March's being returned for minor problems.

Ouch! Thanks for passing on your experience and the March warranty details. I'm afraid the warranty information will keep me from owning one. Until the warranty changes to conform to Premier Heritage and NF scopes, I can't see March developing a large user base amongst hunters. Their web advertisement states that they intend to remain a small company, and their warranty will ensure that to be the case. No transferable warranty means the resale value will be compromised substantially. Sounds like a high quality scope with a low quality warranty. Not to knock your scope. It sounds like you're really happy with it. Just hope it doesn't fail and need repair work.

I think the idea of a 2.5x25 is the cat's @ss!!
I know nothing about the inner working of optics, but why has this new company came out with a 10 power scope and the old standby names have been keeping us in the dark ages of optics?
A bush scope and a long range scope all in one package, what else would you need?
Cdog.

Other companies don't offer 10:1 zoom because they can't, or at least haven't been able to yet. It's very difficult to make such a wide ratio with acceptable optics that fits in the tube of a scope. When IOR first came out with 6:1, they needed a 35mm tube and adjustment range was still limited. For their 7:1 they use a 40mm tube. Swaro and Bushnell have now done 6 and 6.5 in a 30mm, but adjustment range is very limited for the high power models. Apparently there were some Swaro Engineers at SHOT who simply would not believe March had done it until they saw the scopes for themselves. Anyway, that's why these have raised so many eyebrows--if it was easy to do, everybody would be doing it.

The warranty issue is something that people will need to look at closely. I've done a lot of buying and selling of scopes lately and so if it doesn't transfer that wouldn't be helpful. Though if it runs out after 5 years anyway it's not quite as big a loss. I would want to find out about typical repair costs, etc, before I made the plunge.

The flip side of looking at that is I was very well treated by IOR's warranty but would not risk putting another 3-18 on the 300. I'd rather not need to use the warranty. If the reliability of these scopes for typical warranty-type repairs you see with other brands is as good as some say it might not be much of an issue, especially if repair costs are reasonable.

If I smash a S&B or Premier by running over it with a truck, having a horse lay on it, or hitting it with a bat, etc, I'll need to buy a new one so it's no different there. It's really only an issue for a failure that would be caused by a manufacturing defect that wouldn't happen or you wouldn't notice in the first 5 years. Of course none of my broken IORs made it that far or even close.

So it is a strike against them and it would be nice if they could work out something better. I'd certainly get more details and talk to the benchrest guys who use them to hear their experiences if considering one.

You make some good points. All in all I still tend to conclude they'll need to improve that warranty in order to develop a substantial user base. It needs to be transferable or resale value will definitely be compromised.

I'd still like to look through one, as I expect their warranty will improve or they won't survive the competition.

Several months ago, there was a post on BR Central that claimed the Japanese government has a law limiting all warranties to five years. I have not been able to confirm this. Does this apply to Japanese made cameras, TV's, and other electronics or just optics, or is there no truth to that post?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts