March or NF

I have had them both. One is big and heavy the other is not. Capabilities are about the same. If your concerned about weight, March, if not, NF. I would say the view is a little better with the NF but its not a 10x multiplier.

I've never owned or handled a March. I have 2 ATACRs. A 7-35 and a 5-25 and I like them both. They definitely have some heft to them like Alex said.

I've had no experience with any of the NF scopes but I have got a March 2.5-25 x 42 and it is a great scope. My first March got damaged and I returned it to Japan for repairs as it needed a new tube, sad story. March sent an email stating the cost and I said go ahead. They sent me a brand new scope and covered the cost of freight from Japan to NZ. Great customer service.

The March will do everything the ATACR will do in a more compact package. The March is unbeatable for a top tier lightweight optic.

When you research the March warranty, make sure you fully understand why the warranty is five years. Japanese export laws being what they are, five years is max. That said, there is now a US service center in WA that will repair beyond the advertised five year warranty and it's much faster than shipping to Japan.

For comparison sake, S&B only offers a two year warranty, but few question it even though we're talking about similar quality optics.

Last edited:
I have 5 Nightforce scopes right now...none of which is an ACATR. One 12-42 BR, Two 12-42 NSX, One 8-32 NSX, and one 5.5 - 22 NSX. I took a good look through a March back at the 2008 IBS 1000 Nats in Ohio. I don't even remember what it was.....10-60 maybe? Anyway, I do remember being impressed!! I have never even looked through an ATACR.

I know about the differing weights between the two brands and the warrante issue with the march. The cost will be within a couple hundred bucks, so tomato, tomato.

Just wondering if there is much difference in glass quality, resolution, and "dialabillity".

Thanks,
Tod

I have 5 Nightforce scopes right now...none of which is an ACATR. One 12-42 BR, Two 12-42 NSX, One 8-32 NSX, and one 5.5 - 22 NSX. I took a good look through a March back at the 2008 IBS 1000 Nats in Ohio. I don't even remember what it was.....10-60 maybe? Anyway, I do remember being impressed!! I have never even looked through an ATACR.

I know about the differing weights between the two brands and the warrante issue with the march. The cost will be within a couple hundred bucks, so tomato, tomato.

Just wondering if there is much difference in glass quality, resolution, and "dialabillity".

Thanks,
Tod

Both have astounding top tier glass. As indicated above, the decision is personal preference in regards to ergonomics. The March is a low profile lightweight optic built for maximum maneuverability with a 10x mag ratio and top tier glass. Even though the scope is built "light" it is regarded as suitable for heavy duty use. Some complain about a finicky parallax with the March because it requires less rotation of the parallax knob to make a significant difference in correction. I personally like it. I like that when I have a crystal clear target image, there is no parallax. I've had trouble in this regard with the NF NXS. The ATACR, however, is better than the NXS at removing parallax.

Another knock I've seen on the March is a tight eyebox at high magnification on the 42mm scopes. Some users complain about it, some think it's fine. I haven't personally experienced this or anything close to what I would consider a tight eyebox on my 52mm.

Another complaint I've seen is the March Zero Stop. Users set the zero stop and then they crank the dial down and jam it hard against the zero stop, which causes the dial to stick. IMO, the March Zero stop is a feature of brilliance and simplicity requiring no special tool to adjust, that is, unless you just don't have a penny in your pocket. Seriously though, it's hard to mess up.

The Nightforce is a Heavy Duty 34mm tubed tactical scope built for maximum durability and hard use with top tier glass. The Zero stop on the ATACR is the same as the NXS with the exception of the 4-16x42 F1 with the locking turret.

Both scopes are brutally reliable and are built to dial. They are both known to track true and return to zero as expected for scopes in the $2.5K price range.

Last edited:
I really like my March 3-24x42 with the illum ffp moa reticle. For the size/weight they can't be beaten. I wish the 52mm version had all the reticle options of the 42mm scope. I'll be upgrading to the 52mm soon, will be the ffp illum mil drop reticle I guess.

I really like my March 3-24x42 with the illum ffp moa reticle. For the size/weight they can't be beaten. I wish the 52mm version had all the reticle options of the 42mm scope. I'll be upgrading to the 52mm soon, will be the ffp illum mil drop reticle I guess.

Can you comment on the eyebox of the 42mm? Any problems?

Can you comment on the eyebox of the 42mm? Any problems?
If you have proper comb height, it's not too finicky. I run a stock pack with velcro riser strips built up underneath on mcmillan game scout. Hawkins hybrid low rings. I do have Neanderthal high cheek bones so that's my problem.

I've got them both, and like them both. Most of my hunting rifles wear the March, or an NXS. I save the ATACR's for the LR rock shooting. March advantages: size, weight, magnification, simple zero stop. March disadvantages: turrets need to be locked down tight with the set screws. ATACR advantages: giving the glass advantage to the ATACR, probably durability with the 34mm tube. ATACR disadvantage: size and weight, not an issue on a LR rifle, is on a hunting rifle. I consider the reticles about even given the choices. I have no problems with eyebox on either scope.

I will give the durability to the NF, I've never broken one and I've broken 2 March scopes. Both were replaced. One was a manufacturing defect, the second one was all my fault. I don't really think you can go wrong with either one.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts