March 2 1/2-25X52

Rich Coyle

After the less than stellar results of the Swarovski z8i 3 1/2-28 I ordered a March. Apparently one March is not equal to the last March. I post this because the last March 2 1/2-25X52 I compared with my Bushnell it was not necessary to go back and forth to discern which one was better. The March was like the Schmidt & Bender I compared with my Bushnell. Both of them were instantly and obviously noticeably better. But here's the result of yesterday's comparison.

July 14, 2021 93 degrees, sunny target. March 2 ½-25X52 FD-1 illuminated (23.9 ounces) and Bushnell 6500 4 ½-30X50 (22.0 ounces)

I adjusted them as well as I could on the optics chart 127 yards away. The March shows better color on the plants than the Bushnell, but not as good as the Leupold VX-6 4-24X52. I set them both on 25X. The March was barely better with both allowing me to see 4-1. 4-1 means I could discern the first group of lines on the forth scale. When the Bushnell was turned up to 30X it was barely better than the March on 25X. But it is max against max. About 8:20 I set them both out again to look at the deer antlers in the woods 131 yards away. The lowest setting for the Bushnell allowing me to see the antlers was 8 1/2X while the March setting was 5 1/2X. I couldn't see them with the Bushnell until I found them with the March.

I found a used 2.5-25x52 March last winter. It has the Plex reticle which I'm not crazy about. But other than that it's a great scope. I like it so much I'm considering buying another one for an upcoming 280 AI build. I wish other manufacturers would build scopes in this magnification range. 3-15 or 3-18 just isn't enough magnification for me. I know lots of guys say you don't need more than 15 power. But they must have better eyes than me.

BEEMAN,

I hear you about magnification. Two guys I hunted with could see without binoculars as well as I could with 7X. Maybe they are normal and guys like you and me need more magnification. One of my .com friends suggested I lack experience and that's why I like high magnification. When I listed all the deer, elk, bear, caribou, pigs and other animals I killed during the last forty or fifty years he changed his mind.

Even my Freedom Arms came with no sights. I installed a 2 1/2-8X32 Leupold VX on it.

BEEMAN,

I hear you about magnification. Two guys I hunted with could see without binoculars as well as I could with 7X. Maybe they are normal and guys like you and me need more magnification. One of my .com friends suggested I lack experience and that's why I like high magnification. When I listed all the deer, elk, bear, caribou, pigs and other animals I killed during the last forty or fifty years he changed his mind.

Even my Freedom Arms came with no sights. I installed a 2 1/2-8X32 Leupold VX on it.
My wife's family has crazy good eyes. Like spotting coyotes in tall CRP grass at 1/2 mile on up. I can't even see them if they start running in it. Just their heads show.
One of my brother in laws has to adjust scopes and binoculars to their max to be able to see through them. His eyes are so good that they won't hardly adjust far enough for him. Hand them to anyone else and they have to start cranking on them to get them clear.
The craziest part of this guy is that he can see at night. I am not talking moonlit bright nights I am talking dang dark nights. He can see herds of deer at 150 yards count them and tell you if there are any decent bucks.
We have 6 kids. I think I have one that inherited the super good long distance vision from my wife. My 12 year old can tell bucks from does at 1/2 mile plus while riding down the highway. I can't even see a head. I see the deer…. years of looking for deer but he can tell you big buck small buck.