New March 2.5-25x52

I have not compared the 42 and 52 side by side in low light. The 42 is now on a custom smokeless muzzleloader and maybe I can compare them in October when I check my zero before ML season.

I had posted this on another thread regarding my recently purchased March 5x25x52 SFP with MP3 reticle. IMO, the superior glass for a scope this size is one of it's most distinguishing features.

===While ai think the true test will be to put it through a full season of hunting, I did make what I thought was a very meaningful observation about this scope. Much more so then low light conditions, the most frequent problem I encounter is the "wash out" of the image due to glare when shooting into a low sun. I have had to either wait or pass on good animals when they were in this position. A few evenings ago I happened to have a low sun out my workshop door that simulated a typical worst case scenario. I picked a deer sized grey rock at 300 yards in a partially treed area. I attempted to acquire the rock with each of my LRH rifles, a 5x25x56 ATACR(300 WM), Huskemaw 5x20x50(6.5x284), 5.5x22x50 G7 NXS(6.5x284), and my new March 5x25x52(6.5x284). All were set at 20X. I wasn't expecting much from any of the scopes considering the strong glare, made even worse with the snow but was surprised to see that the March was the only scope to give me a very clear shot on the rock with only a slight yellow tint. The two NF scopes and the Huskemaw gave no picture at all.....total yellow/orange haze. Just to make sure that I was getting a reliable comparison, I repeated the process two more times and got the same results. March claims to have the best glass on the market. Maybe it's true!===

Last edited:
Greyfox,

Have you ever looked through a Schmidt & Bender? How about a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50?
Rich,
Yes, I've looked through the S&B, not the Bushnell. No question, the S&B glass appeared quite nice. I would not claim to be very worldly when it comes to all the various scopes available, and would hope that my post didn't imply that the March was superior to all others. My predominant LR scopes are mostly Nightforce, and I have had excellent success with the Huskemaw. Just wanted to point out the difference I experienced when I compared the March to these scopes under high glare conditions. I will say that I want to evaluate future purchases to understand how the scope reacts in this setting.

Thanks, Greyfox, for your answer. I sure would like to look through a March. I compared my 6500 with a Schmidt & Bender the other day. Wow! Prior to this experience the only scope with better glass than my 6500 4 1/2-30X50's is my Nightforce NSX 12-42X56. That includes Swarovski z5 5-25X52 (4 of them) and a Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 and several right below them.

An interesting observation is the 6500 2 1/2-16X have glass more like the scopes under the z5 and VX-6. I bought four trying to get one as good as the 4 1/2-30X. Now my light weight carries a 22 ounce scope.

Thanks, Greyfox, for your answer. I sure would like to look through a March. I compared my 6500 with a Schmidt & Bender the other day. Wow! Prior to this experience the only scope with better glass than my 6500 4 1/2-30X50's is my Nightforce NSX 12-42X56. That includes Swarovski z5 5-25X52 (4 of them) and a Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 and several right below them.

An interesting observation is the 6500 2 1/2-16X have glass more like the scopes under the z5 and VX-6. I bought four trying to get one as good as the 4 1/2-30X. Now my light weight carries a 22 ounce scope.

My ATAC-R was my best glass until I got this March. Until I tried them in high glare I would have said they appeared to be similar in terms of clarity and low light conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.