Making sure I got this right

BYF

Ok I want to make sure I get the right bases for my scope.
I plan on loading Hornady 180gr SST. According to my load data using IMR H4895 at max load of 48gr I will get 2680fps I plan on titrating the load down to 2600fps, which will give me a med load. According to ShootersCalculator I should need 28 MOA elevation adjustment at 1000yds. My scope is a Vortex Viper 6-20X50 which has 65 MOA adjustment, 32.5 MOA in each direction, I believe. So that means no MOA adjustment is needed for my mounts, correct?

Technically, yes. But you are cutting it close for sure. +10 or +20 moa base would be nice. Just to be sure. Unless you already have a base, then use it and find out. I'd play it safe with a 20 moa base. Jus my 2 cents. Nice scope btw.

I would use a 20 MOA base for a few reasons. First, in most scopes the optical resolution starts to degrade when the internal adjustment exceeds about 25 MOA. You want your longest range shots to need less than 25 MOA adjustment.

Second, many production rifles have the barrels installed crooked. I install lots of scopes, and I regularly see misalignment between the ring axis and the rifle bore of 10 MOA or more. Custom rifles tend to have better barrel and base installation. Also, barrel vibration can throw impacts off of bore sight by 10 MOA or more on sporter weight barrels. Unless you know that your rifle does not have these issues, you should plan on needing an extra 10-15 MOA for misalignment and barrel vibration. A 20 MOA base will give you the extra margin.

Finally, the adjustment range is overstated by Vortex for some of their PST scopes. If you run the elevation adjustment to the limit, the field of view may be obscured at low magnification. The adjustment range without obscuration is about 1/2 turn less than the limit, so you may lose about a full turn of adjustment.

Definitely go with a 20moa base. One reason is that it will put your zero lower in your scope. This means when the distance gets longer, your adjustment is closer to the optical center of your scope. It also provides you with more 'up'. theoretically, if you have 65moa total, it's 32.5 at the center. so a 20moa base would put you ~12.5moa from the bottom and leave you with ~52.5 'up'.

I found 2 setups which do you think is better?

1) Evolution Gun Works Picatinny Rail Scope Mount, Black, Remington 700 Long Action, 20 MOA and Warne Scope Mounts Medium Matte Permanent Attach Rings (30mm) $75

OR

2) DNZ Products Remington 700 20MOA-Long Action-Med Mount-Black $106

Thank you

The EGW HD is the way to go. It's got the higher grade harder aluminum. This gives you more options for rings. You want your base to be harder than or equal to the hardness of your rings. The HD base is 7075 aluminum. This is what all the high $ aluminum rings are made from. The EGW is the best priced base I could find in this high grade aluminum. I got one on my R700 .270 with vortex precision matched rings. It's a great combo.

Alright, thanks to all who have participated. My EGW HD 20MOA rail and Burris rings are on their way. Next will be my bipod and load 100 rds. Hopefully the weather will break and I cam get this on paper.

While waiting for this stuff to arrive, I've been doing some reading. What I have read is to never put steel rings on aluminum bases . Aluminum rings on steel bases are fine. Something to do with the different expansion during temp changes. Has anyone found this to be true? Should I go ahead with my build? Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.