Am I seeing this right?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Tikkamike, May 29, 2010.

1. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

I am building a 338 lapua on a 700 long action. My barrel and brake are stainless and the action is blued. I want to put stainless bottom metal on it bet everywhere I look its $250 plus am I just having bad luck? I dont want anything special just stainless bottom metal it can be remington or whatever. That seems really high considering I had a custom fluted bolt built by PT&G for not much more than what bottom metal appears to cost. If anyone has a link or some stainless metal they want to sell let me know

2. texan79

texan79 Well-Known Member

Mike.

My buddy tore down a stainless LA BDL for a custom build. Let me see if he still has the bottom metal and I'll hit you back on a PM. Ithought I saw it cheaper at Midway the other day. Maybe Remington direct? I know they have parts orders dept.

3. Tikkamike

awesome thanks.

4. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

PTG's tactical line is around 100 bucks I just had Kevin Cram mill out my McHale stock for it. Man it looks great solid and thick I think they have a stainless finish for that price maybe im mistaken.

Jon

5. Tikkamike

Jon,

What exactly is tactical steel? does it have to be blued or coated with anything to protect against corossion?

6. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

7. Tikkamike

Yeah I saw the link already that you sent me but I wasnt sure if those 5 finishes pictured were all tactical steel or what. Guess I will call PTG and see what they can tell me.