Making 338 Rum brass

I guess that's not too bad. I ended up winning 50 new pieces on there and should have them tomorrow. I just got rid of some 300 rum brass before i got this 338. Should have kept them to try.

Well I found 50 pcs of 338 brass locally. I did bum 3 pcs of 300 brass and sized them down. I didnt use imperial sizing wax but if I do anymore I will be sure and use it. I just used RCBS sizing lube. It worked ok got some small dimpling at the neck shoulder junction. Trimng to length was the worst part of it. I use a forester trimmer and ultra mag brass is too long to fit with the neck turning attachment installed. Had to remove the collet each time to insert brass. At least it gives me options to use when brass availability gets bad.
Wade

i made 3 up this morning. here is a pic. i'm gonna shoot 'em this afternoon.

it looks as though the shoulder doesn't have as sharp of an angle as factory made cases, but i'm sure after one firing you could never tell. i got a little dent on once case. neck thickness seems very close to the 338 rum.

left, factory 300 rum. middle, 300 rum sized to 338 rum, not trimmed yet. right, original 338 rum.

Attachments

• IMG_20110529_095547.jpg
    IMG_20110529_095547.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
shot them up. the sharp corner on the shoulder came back as i thought.

for some reason 1 of the loaded cases was harder to chamber then the others.

now just tell too many people or we won't be able to find 300 rum brass. haha

thanks to all who replied.

Last edited:
I was looking in my Sinclair mag and notices that Nosler is now making 338 rum brass

I followed the process with the sizing wax. It worked well, but I actually got better results by pulling the expander from the .338 RUM die and formed the shoulder first. Then I put the expander back in the die and ran the case through one more time. I trimmed and annealed the cases before loading them. After three reloading cycles, all of the cases are still in great shape.

I want to bring this thread back to life! Have many of you guys done this lately? Is it worth it? How exactly do you safely do it? 189.99 for 100 rounds of Norma brass right now less than $2 a piece. $65.00 for 25 Nosler 338 rum brass $2.6 a piece.

it worked back then and it works today. I've done it lately and nothing to it, with .300 and 7mm RUM. The only difference is that there is more happening to the 7mm brass so I anneal first.

Im in the process of building a 338 Rum. The problem I have is brass availablility. No one seems to have any in stock at this moment. Can a person form it from 300 Rum or 375 Rum brass. Is it feasable to push the shoulder back .01 without any problems. Has anybody tried this before? any help appreciated.
Wade

If you try to go with a full length sizer you will have to take about 30-40 seconds to push the brass into your sizer. Otherwise you will collapse the case. I made a wildcat 6.5 using .300RUM or 7RUM with the shoulder pushed back about .100". I have a couple sizer dies that push a little of the shoulder at a time and works every time with no losses.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.