making 260 brass

nowler

hi folks

i have been making 260 brass by necking up 243 lapua using a k & m expandrel and redding comp die set, before neck turning for a 290 tight neck chamber.

results of the necked up brass are not great at the shoulder to neck junction. i suspect this is because i can't get the bushing die to go as far down the shoulder as i'd like.

will using a f/l sizing die help do you thinks?

derek

Derek,

I am doing the same as you are with .260 Rem, but with Sinclair expander thing. I am getting the same results as you. However I am not sure that the bushings go all the way down the neck to the shoulder anyway. I had a 6.5 x 55, with Lapua brass the bushing on the Redding dies would not adjust so that it went all the way down to the shoulder / neck junction (about 1/8th inch short).

In short it may be to do with the die design rather than the case, but my experince with Redding bushing dies is limited to two calibers only.

David.

thanks for the reply david.

i have redding comp dies in 7 different calibers, and i am not sure if any of them will neck size all the way down or not.

i don't size all the neck anyway, but it would be handy in this instance.

i have a f/l die coming to see if it helps.

i'll keep you posted

derek

Derek,

Please keep me posted. I see you are from Scotland. If your barrel is from Border and they reamed the chamber then we have the same barrel done with the same reamer. Any results you get would be helpful.

If you want to email me my email is: [email protected]

Best regards,

David.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.