260 Rem Brass Question's

excaliber

I was looking at rifles after my last post about a 6.5 for my Wife. The Savage rifles are too heavy for what I want. the LRH (8-3/4 lbs) and the LRP (11+ lbs) Tikka doesn't offer a 6.5 CM and the barrel length is 22.3"

I'm looking for a more lightweight rifle with a decent barrel length of at least 24".

I was looking at Remington and see they do not offer a 6.5 CM but they offer the 260 Rem. It looks like the 260 Rem would offer a bit more capacity and I could get a bit more out of it than the 6.5 CM.

If I do decide to go this way what brass are you using? I'm not real fond of the idea of using Remington Brass if that's what I'd have to reload with. I thought I saw somewhere Lapua makes 260 Rem brass.

I'll see what I can find.

If you can't find 260 Rem cases you can always make them easily. Run a 308 Win case into a full length 260 Rem size die. The neck length will be just a tad shorter than the 260 trim to length but it works OK and will lengthen with a couple firings. Run a 243 Win case into the sizing die and you will have a perfect length case. My buddie got one of the first Rem 700s in 260 Rem to hit the market. You could not find any loaded ammo and NO CASES were even on the market yet. We experimented with different cases and found that Remington 243 cases made the most accurate ammo. There was not even any load data out at the time so we treated it as a wildcat and from that we came up with H4350 as the best powder at that time. We used both 120 and 140 gr Sierra SP bullets and they shot bug holes and we used this rifle doing crop damage control that year and killed 50 deer from on top of us out to a little over 500 yards and only had 1 to move out of it's tracks and it did go but 3 jumps. In my experience any 6.5 caliber with the proper bullets is a real deer killer. Good luck and have fun.

I've been using Remington and Federal brass out of mine. I got the brass from the factory loads I used when I first got the rifle. The federal brass has really outlasted the Remington. Hornady also now makes 260 rem brass. It's pretty affordable, and the reviews I found sounded pretty good. I bought some but haven't played with it yet.

If Lapua is too expensive for you I'd suggest using Winchester 7mm 08 brass.
I recently sized 500 pieces to 260 Rem for a LR260 and the neck thickness variance was outstanding even after sizing. 85% weighed within 4 grains.
Very good consistently from winchester. I was surprised and happy.

I have been on a quest for some time to get my hands on R-P brass for mine. Was just lucky enough to find 150 new cases to go along with my once fired ones. I have new Lapua cases on hand for it as well. For a few years I have been using LC NATO cases pretty successfully. I inside turned them on the way down then finished with outside turning. Case capacity is just a little tighter than the R-P and reduce load by .2 gr.

Possibilities are plenty...wouldn't let it stop me from buying it if that was the one.

I'm in the process of building up a 260 rem myself, I went the 700 sps route & replacing trigger, stock, & bedding the recoil lug as the stock I went with has a full aluminum bedding block. I just picked up some lapua brass & so far I'm impressed with it very consistent brass piece vs piece, although I have not shot the brass yet as I'm looking at the end of may before my stock & scope comes in. I agree with mudrunner as far as nosler brass I have had very good success with it. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.