Magnum AR Project

This is temp build and dry function testing only. 3 rounds in mag and all fed and ejected fine. Test (dummy) rounds @ 2.830", 2.020" trim length and Lapua 144fmj. Throated +.100" to 144's. Barrel 6.5prc, 8 twist, modified hbar, .875" gas journal, .100" gas port, 22" length and is double feed (m4 style extension).

Attachments

• 20230624_170028.jpg
    20230624_170028.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • 20230624_165956.jpg
    20230624_165956.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230624_165844.jpg
    20230624_165844.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 59
My 358 WSM has a .082" gas port I believe…it's perfect.
The SLR Adj gas block (AGB) is at 8 Clicks
But…that's in my caliber.

Personally, I like to have the AGB set in the mid-range of 6-9 clicks.
Just in case I want to experiment with loads.

I'd try close to .070"
What length gas system does your 358 WSM have?

My 358 WSM has a .082" gas port I believe…it's perfect.
The SLR Adj gas block (AGB) is at 8 Clicks
But…that's in my caliber.

Personally, I like to have the AGB set in the mid-range of 6-9 clicks.
Just in case I want to experiment with loads.

I'd try close to .070"
I'd like to know more about your setup.

I finally found that a .077 gas port is the size that works best for the setup that I currently have. Dwell time still seems a bit quick since some of the rims are only very slightly raised, but not all of them. I currently have a 5oz buffer, I'm thinking a slightly heavier buffer will give me the perfect recipe.

That being said, has anyone had their AR have cycling issues when having a heavy optic installed on it? I'm also getting ready to build a version 3 receiver, more on that to come as well.

I finally found that a .077 gas port is the size that works best for the setup that I currently have. Dwell time still seems a bit quick since some of the rims are only very slightly raised, but not all of them. I currently have a 5oz buffer, I'm thinking a slightly heavier buffer will give me the perfect recipe.

That being said, has anyone had their AR have cycling issues when having a heavy optic installed on it? I'm also getting ready to build a version 3 receiver, more on that to come as well.
I have heard of this with the SCAR 17s when using an Elcan but not with an AR pattern

If it's taking the actual rearward movement of an automatic then something is wrong. On those doesn't use a buffer tube I have no idea? As an AR platform goes it shouldn't be an issue with a heavy optic or any other added weight. I've had 3.5# AR's to 15.5# 1's also. As long as the gas system is tuned to the bolt, buffer and recoil spring all is good. Don't choke the gas in this case if you feel the port is sized well enough, just add weight to the buffer as a heavier spring doesn't really help dwell time only rebound. This is what I've found and other might have found a different method? I've changed carrier weight, buffer weight and recoil spring tension for various cartridges with different powers. Another thought is the B5 system..........might not make sense here, but give it a go. I would go with an h3/h4 buffer (5.3-6.5oz) with the rifle length spring. I can still send you the real heavy buffer I have for you to try (9.3oz), if you're interested? I ask for nothing in return as only too help you in your quest!